New computer, new problems (drat)

  • kc8sfq@mei.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

    Hi Guys and Gals:
    Well, it begins again.
    I had just about climbed out of the learning curve valley and had my computer talking to the other stuff. I had assumed that when  my OT2;s finally got here, there would be a little bit of a lump in the learning curve, and then I'd finally be running mobile APRS with mapping.

    Well. that was not to be. My old hamfest-scored computer croaked. I had to buy a new machine, and now nothing works. I can't get into Yahoo Groups to download the APRSIS32 program. I tried moving it from my desktop (no good). I tried downloading from the wiki (no good). (fortunately, I can still view my group e-mails, so at least the learning can continue)

    Yahoo groups wants me to sign in, when I try to do so, I am told that "that address is available, do you want to register a new account?" When I try to register as a new account, I am told "that address is taken". It's my callsign, The FCC assures me that I'm the only kc8sfq in the world. (still waiting for yahoo to help with that one.)

    What I think i know:

    1: The laptop that croaked had my passwords and cookies saved, obviously I can't get at those, and I can't find where I wrote them down. Probably why Yahoo won't let me in.

    2: The APRSIS32 I down loaded just flashes with a horizontal bar across the screen. I expect this is due to the new machine being a win7 operating system. The literature for APRS32 says it'll run in "non administrator mode". I have no idea what that is, or how to get in or out of it.

    I guess I'm mostly venting here, so thanks for plowing through it (or just hitting delete without busting my chops). Help with that administrator mode thing would be appreciated though, then I should be able to get the APRSIS32 running

    Thanks and 73' Ron

    Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      It sounds like when you try to sign in you have actually hit the register button. Yahoo, will send a email to you with hints or some other thing. I have not done this myself so I am not much help there. Give that a shot. It may reset the password which will help.

      With Win7, don't put APRSIS32 in My Documents. Windows is very protective of that space. Your mileage may vary. Hopefully someone running Win7 will respond with a better answer.

      Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        The administrator modes refers to your machine user accounts, if it's yours and there's only one account on it, then it's an administrator.

        I have APRSIS32 working on a lot of windows 7 machines with no issues.

        Make sure that APRSIS folder isn't in the program folders file, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it doesn't like being in that folder.

        I can't help you with your passwords, but I'm sure I could manage to e-mail you a zip file of the program.

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

          You can run APRSIS32 in the programs folder, I do it. But it a real hassle fighting windows permissions to do it and not worth the effort.

          Both CE and 32 programs are downloadable from the Wiki

          But obviously you will want to get on to the group, I am sure yahoo has a password remind function

          The administrator modes refers to your machine user accounts, if it's yours and there's only one account on it, then it's an administrator.

          I have APRSIS32 working on a lot of windows 7 machines with no issues.

          Make sure that APRSIS folder isn't in the program folders file, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it doesn't like being in that folder.

          I can't help you with your passwords, but I'm sure I could manage to e-mail you a zip file of the program.

          Adam
          KC2ANT

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, kc8sfq@... wrote:

          > Hi Guys and Gals:
          > Well, it begins again.
          > I had just
          > about climbed out of the learning curve valley and had my computer talking
          > to the other stuff. I had assumed that when  my OT2;s finally got
          > here, there would be a little bit of a lump in the learning curve, and
          > then I'd finally be running mobile APRS with mapping.
          >
          > Well.
          > that was not to be. My old hamfest-scored computer croaked. I had to buy a
          > new machine, and now nothing works. I can't get into Yahoo Groups to
          > download the APRSIS32 program. I tried moving it from my desktop (no
          > good). I tried downloading from the wiki (no good). (fortunately, I can
          > still view my group e-mails, so at least the learning can continue)
          >
          > Yahoo groups wants me to sign in, when I try to do so, I am told
          > that "that address is available, do you want to register a new
          > account?" When I try to register as a new account, I am told
          > "that address is taken". It's my callsign, The FCC assures me
          > that I'm the only kc8sfq in the world. (still waiting for yahoo to help
          > with that one.)
          >
          > What I think i know:
          >
          > 1: The laptop
          > that croaked had my passwords and cookies saved, obviously I can't get at
          > those, and I can't find where I wrote them down. Probably why Yahoo won't
          > let me in.
          >
          > 2: The APRSIS32 I down loaded just flashes with a
          > horizontal bar across the screen. I expect this is due to the new machine
          > being a win7 operating system. The literature for APRS32 says it'll run in
          > "non administrator mode". I have no idea what that is, or how to
          > get in or out of it.
          >
          > I guess I'm mostly venting here, so thanks
          > for plowing through it (or just hitting delete without busting my chops).
          > Help with that administrator mode thing would be appreciated though, then
          > I should be able to get the APRSIS32 running
          >
          > Thanks and 73'
          > Ron

        • Pete Hodgo
          Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
            Hi Guys.
            APRSIS is a drag and drop program, so if you can get the old HD out of the old machine, slave it, place it in the new one, or in SATA case just plug it in
            you will have SATA if the new machine is on win7, turn it all on and stand back, wait for the bang.  hi hi. well ether way just copy your old APRSIS-32
            off the old drive and copy it to the new machine, i have done it here around 8 times on all my Pc's win7, XP, even tried vista, not that good...
            So if anyone wants to back up APRSIS just make a copy of the one you have going now, if using UIView-32, you will need to install that one
            then coy your working version over the top replacing all that need to be.  this works well, even the password codes to.
            Good luck Fred,
            ps; i use Mozilla FireFox, not IE, just a idea...

                     Peter VK2BLO

            --
            Cheers, Pete.
            vk2blopete@...

          • kc8sfq@mei.net
            Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2011

            Hi gang:
            I can't seem to get APRSIS32 to run on my win7 machine. I am also having trouble with Yahoo Groups. I can't get into Yahoo groups, but I have downloaded APRSIS32 from the wiki. when I run the APRSIS-32 I get the sign in screen with "NOCALL in the callsign block. So far, so good.
            When I click the "ACCEPT" button it all goes south. I get a bar most of the way across the screen. This bar and any windows on the screen begin flashing. I can close the other windows, but to get rid of the bar, I have to restart the computer.

            any help here greatly appreciated

            Ron
          • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
            Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2011
              Another one to discover that Windows 7 is broken.
              APRSIS needs to be installed in a directory directly under root, not it Program Files.

              --
              Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
              Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net