RE: [aprsisce] Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
      A Bluetooth module will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port on the USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible to access it except for updating a ROM.

      My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network connection will not work, hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does make for a great digipeater.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
        I was simply thinking that if I can pick up a windows phone on the cheap, use GPS and blue tooth to connect it to a TNC hooked to a radio, it might make one of my dumb trackers for an event into something a little more two way. If I've got it hooked to RF, I don't really need it to hit the IS portion.

        Really just thinking outloud, wonder how APRSISCE would work on a phone that has no network connectivity... thinking I'd have to load an SD card with the maps already from another source though....

        Adam
        KC2ANT

        > A Bluetooth module will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port
        > on the USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible
        > to access it except for updating a ROM.
        >
        > My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with
        > this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network
        > connection will not work, hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does
        > make for a great digipeater.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Fred, N7FMH
        >

        > _____

      • Andre
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011

          > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
          > >
          > > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
          > > entry? That's sometimes handy.
          >
          > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
          > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
          > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
          > it would be considered handy and not harmful?
          >
          > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA1 - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
          >
          > PS. If you could also mention what other software/hardware has such a
          > feature, I can point to "prior art" when someone says I've done
          > something stupid.

          digi_ned has that option, I think it was called digiend.
          a packet would come in as digi1*,digi2*,wide2* and go out as digi1*,digi2*,wide2*,mydigi*.
          The reason it was included is that at the time in the netherlands we had a seperate novice aprs frequentie on 70cm and wanted to be able to get all trafic that came in on 144.800 back out on 430.5125.

          other aplication where it would be handy is the superlan idea that sadly never toke off when the 144.39 fix came about.

          73 Andre PE1RDW
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
            Hi Adam,

            If you had been reading previous posts then the thinking will be minimal. It may not even produce smoke from the ears. :)

            I will tell you it works great. I have no SIM card in my phone so it is now only a mobile platform. I turned off W-Fi since I am never really using it near my network. That cured my BT/Wi-Fi contention. BT lost!

            I am using the Roving Networks RN-240M but I think Lynn is using a IOGear Bluetooth module. I was ordering other stuff from mouser so I added it.

            The GPS on the mobile platform works so another GPS is not really needed. The TNC only needs KISS.

            The Tilt does have a GPS antenna port but I have not found the HTC antenna or looked for a 3rd party antenna. Inside a car, on the roads I have traveled so far, reception has not been an issue. I do not have heavy woods with rain testing in yet. It does appear to shut off if I don't hit a key but I may have caused that by changing a setting.

            The thick tree cover wet with rain is the reason I picked up an amplified antenna for my usual GPS. FIXes are fixed now!

            APRSISCE is not GPS software, so I for now I will still use my usual GPS. The usual GPS does all the normal stuff a GPS is good for. Waypoints and tracking are two items that I depend on. Yeah, I know that waypoints can be APRSISCE non-RF objects and I have played with that a bit. APRSISCE will also record a track but not what I desire. This not an issue since the usual GPS does that just fine.

            Although, I found MapWM which will record a track which can be later uploaded directly to their web site. It can be downloaded in a couple of different formats later. A GPX file is one format made available which is what I use. This last weekend I was on a road that was not in the OSM database. I will attempt to update using the MapWM output after I edit it a bit. There may be other GPS software that will emulate my Garmin. I haven't looked very hard for it yet. Between APRSISCE with objects and MapWM for track recording, the usual GPS could stay home. Nah!

            APRSISCE and MapWM can access the Mobile Platform GPS concurrently. This is nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS could also be used and shared the same way. I have not been successful nor tried for more than a couple of minutes. I was actually using my Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it to it later but for now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo has to be adjusted for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.

            I picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...

            I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.

            I was simply thinking that if I can pick up a windows phone on the cheap, use GPS and blue tooth to connect it to a TNC hooked to a radio, it might make one of my dumb trackers for an event into something a little more two way. If I've got it hooked to RF, I don't really need it to hit the IS portion.

            Really just thinking outloud, wonder how APRSISCE would work on a phone that has no network connectivity... thinking I'd have to load an SD card with the maps already from another source though....

            Adam
            KC2ANT

            > A Bluetooth module
            will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port
            > on the USBEXT
            connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible
            > to access
            it except for updating a ROM.

            > My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT
            running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with
            > this particular unit using BT
            for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network
            > connection will not work,
            hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does
            > make for a great
            digipeater.

            href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            > Of apenadragon
            > Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011
            09:24
            > To:
            href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

            > I'm curious as to what it takes exactly to connect one of
            these silly cell
            > phones to an external TNC.
            >
            > and just so
            I'm clear, you have a windows phone, that's not being used as a
            > phone,
            hooked to a TNC/Radio for useing APRSISCE?

            > Adam

            KC2ANT

            href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred
            <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

            > > James,
            > >
            > > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST
            this year
            > > for $10. The silly little phone portion works according
            to the previous
            > > owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was
            thinking that an older
            > > KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue
            is solved, would make a great
            > > DIGI and hope to do that at some
            point. Actually, just about any KISS TNC
            > > will work.
            > >
            > > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I
            am
            > looking
            > > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will
            be adding.

            > > Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess
            when it does come off. Automotive
            > > hook and loop is pretty good. I
            haven't figured out how to remove old
            > dried
            > > residue yet.
            Goop-off doesn't work.

            > > I currently have the APRS
            Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly little
            > > cellphone",
            connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!

            > > Best
            regards,
            > > Fred, N7FMH

          • apenadragon
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
              I'll be honest I'm pretty sporatic about reading posts. If they don't peak my interest, or pertain to something that I'm not actively working on I just kind of skim over them. But the phone somehow caught my attention.

              I know that APRSISCE isn't a GPS software, that would have to be handled by the phone. Honestly I'm not sure I could hook it to my current trackers anyway as they are TT3 dumb trackers.

              I'm proficient enough with my current mobile set up that adding this to the mix isn't something that I want. although I could add it to my D700 in the pick up truck which would give me maps... there I go, thinking out loud again.

              Have a vacation in July to pay for so this line of thinking will have to be put on the back burner for the time being.

              Adam
              KC2ANT

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                When you are ready, just ask and you will get more than you want probably. ;)

                Fred, N7FMH

> [...]

                > nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS
                could also be used and shared the same
                > way. I have not been successful
                nor tried for more than a couple of minutes.
                > I was actually using my
                Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it
                > to it later but for
                now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo
                > has to be adjusted
                for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.

                picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my

                desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the

                desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in
                > the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...

                I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is

                running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.

                09:45
                > To:
                href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                > I was simply thinking that if I can pick up a windows phone on
                the cheap,
                > use GPS and blue tooth to connect it to a TNC hooked to a
                radio, it might
                > make one of my dumb trackers for an event into something
                a little more two
                > way. If I've got it hooked to RF, I don't really need
                it to hit the IS
                > portion.
                >
                > Really just thinking
                outloud, wonder how APRSISCE would work on a phone that
                > has no network
                connectivity... thinking I'd have to load an SD card with the
                > maps
                already from another source though....

                > Adam

                KC2ANT

                <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

                > > A Bluetooth module will
                work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial
                > port
                > > on the
                USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible

                to access it except for updating a ROM.

                > > My Tilt
                doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate

                with
                > > this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI
                for the
                > network
                > > connection will not work, hence the search
                for more USBEXT use data. It
                > does
                > > make for a great
                digipeater.

                > > Best regards,
                > > Fred,
                N7FMH

                From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
                href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
                > Behalf
                > > Of
                apenadragon
                > > Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 09:24
                > > To:
                aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Subject: [aprsisce] Re:
                Aprsisce digi capable..

                <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

                > > > James,
                > > >
                > > > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones"
                at NEAR-FEST this
                > year
                > > > for $10. The silly little phone
                portion works according to the previous
                > > > owner but I have not
                yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an
                > older

                KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
                > > > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any
                KISS
                > TNC
                > > > will work.
                > > >
                > > > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am
                > > looking
                > > > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will
                be adding.

                > > > Leave off the duct tape, it
                makes a mess when it does come off.
                > Automotive
                > > > hook
                and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old

                dried
                > > > residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.
                > > >
                > > > I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as
                "silly
                > little
                > > > cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite
                a nice setup!

                > > > Best regards,
                > > > Fred, N7FMH

              • apenadragon
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                  More than likely I'm sure.

                  Thanks for the info though. I'll have to do some more thinking about it, now that I know it's capable.

                  Adam
                  KC2ANT

                  > When you are ready, just ask and you will get more than you want probably.
                  > ;)
                  >
                  > Fred, N7FMH
                  >
                  > _____

                • Bill V WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                    On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                    <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                    > > entry? That's sometimes handy.
                    >
                    > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
                    > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
                    > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
                    > it would be considered handy and not harmful?

                    It's most useful running cross band. I've done it with Digi_ned to
                    bring all the packets from one frequency to another. Digi_ned has
                    the added benefit of being able to further decorate the outgoing path
                    so all the digied packets had identifying path-elements added.

                    The other place I can thing this would be handy would be acting like a
                    networking bridge - the old digi in the car to the station in the cafe
                    use case comes to mind.

                    Bill
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                      On 6/1/2011 3:11 AM, James Ewen wrote:

                      > I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                      > the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                      > has-been-digipeated bit set... right?

                      Yes. That's why the Kenwood-special modes (and future host/CONVerse
                      mode) doesn't support digipeating. The UNPROTO xxxxx VIA yyyy,zzzz
                      doesn't support transmitting the used bit on a path component.

                      > When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                      > preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                      > become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                      > digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                      > have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                      > biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                      > there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                      > can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                      > brain transplant.

                      I'm so wanting to be there, but I haven't even begun to delve how to
                      configure such a flexible beast. I want to do a new pre-emptive mode
                      that does the pre-emption, but preserves the skipped unused path to
                      allow use of a local booster digi while not requiring a truly custom
                      path. More when I wrap my head further around it, but you might
                      remember my questions a few months ago about just what the currently
                      expected behavior is for pre-emptive digis.

                      > Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                      > extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                      > best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                      > dreams!

                      Headed there myself shortly!

                      PS. I'm doing some catchup of e-mails that I didn't take the time to
                      answer while on vacation. Sorry about the delays!

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                        You've stated my concerns very well. Paths were meant to be consumed so
                        that packets will die or we're back to what was all wrong with RELAY and
                        WIDE.

                        On 6/1/2011 6:10 AM, vk2asy wrote:
                        > My thought on extending hops beyond what was set in the first place, is more a problem if there are other stations able to hear the hop, and they add hops.. where does it stop..
                        >
                        > I don't feel we should be able to add hops at the end..
                        >
                        > I could have it completely wrong, and be on the wrong track!
                        >
                        > ;-)
                        >
                        > 73 Kim
                        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
                        >> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                        >> <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Good guess James, but that won't work. APRSISCE/32 currently only
                        >>> matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path. If they are all
                        >>> used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
                        >>> won't enter the digipeater logic.
                        >> I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                        >> the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                        >> has-been-digipeated bit set... right?
                        >>
                        >> When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                        >> preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                        >> become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                        >> digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                        >> have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                        >> biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                        >> there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                        >> can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                        >> brain transplant.
                        >>
                        >> Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                        >> extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                        >> best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                        >> dreams!
                        >>
                        >> James
                        >> VE6SRV

                      • Bill V WA7NWP
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                          > You've stated my concerns very well. Paths were meant to be consumed so
                          > that packets will die or we're back to what was all wrong with RELAY and WIDE.

                          It all depends on what you're doing with the packet. Gating
                          extending it to flood even further a flat network like 144.39 would
                          usually be bad. On the other hand, it might be needed to route the
                          packet up to a gateway digi on a mountain pass that then sent it down
                          the other side to a whole new community starved for packets..

                          Out here I've used the DIGI_NED feature of appending and modifying
                          paths very successfully to gate between frequencies.

                          For example, packets I heard on 145.01 would be gated to 144.39 with a
                          changed path.

                          Original packet:

                          BIG01Digi>;Hello World

                          Gated packet:

                          BIG01DIGI>NWP501*,WIDE8-8;Hello World

                          Folks could see the NWP501* and realize that was the route back to the
                          other channel so they could ping BIG01DIGI with a path of NWP501.

                          Back on 145.01, the packet would come out looking like:

                          XYZ>NWP439*,BIG01DIGI; Hello World...

                          (Packets are representative and not how the format really works...)

                          I'm not suggesting APRSISCE needs this but please don't shut the door
                          on an otherwise useful concept... There's so much more we could be
                          doing with packet than we are now...

                          Bill - WA7NWP
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 16, 2011
                            On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

                            > BIG01DIGI>NWP501*,WIDE8-8;Hello World

                            Now BIll's smoking something funny... Bill, you know better! WIDE7-7
                            is the largest available number of hops under the spec. 8)