Aprsisce digi capable..

  • kc9gqr
    Message 1 of 29 , May 31 3:19 PM
      i know i have read some messages about having aprsisce doing some digipeating? we are having a drill next week and it would be nice to have my mobile set up be able to digi temp2-2 to my inside location to my hand held to get aprs info to me..
      Message 2 of 29 , May 31 3:31 PM

        http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/digipeating

        it does require you to edit the xml file currently, make sure the software is close when you do that. Otherwise it will get overwritten.

        <DigiXform>TEMP1-1=TEMP1*</DigiXform>
        <DigiXform>TEMP2-1=TEMP2*</DigiXform>
        <DigiXform>TEMP2-2=TEMP2-1</DigiXform>

        Should sort you.

        FAO Lynn I really think the digi stuff should be a menu option ASAP.

        i know i have read some messages about having aprsisce doing some digipeating? we are having a drill next week and it would be nice to have my mobile set up be able to digi temp2-2 to my inside location to my hand held to get aprs info to me..

      • Bradley Haney

          Message 4 of 29 , May 31 3:47 PM

            Hope you found that ok, have been working on making things easier to find, and getting the software more well known.

            I don;t write the software, but hopefully Lynn KJ4ERj will read this and maybe sort a menu option to do the digi, it is a basic thing that people want.

            That said we all wait for the next cool thing he adds, and maybe neglect the basics

            Message 5 of 29 , May 31 4:13 PM
              You couldn't ask for a better software...  Once the DIGI get's in there along with IGATE functions to be able to do it easy( ie  adding buddy lists,  and to be able to gate to RF positions and not just messages)  we have a triple Aplus

              Message 6 of 29 , May 31 5:08 PM
                On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM, kc9gqr <kc9gqr@...> wrote:

                > we are having a drill next week and it would be nice to have my
                > mobile set up be able to digi  temp2-2 to my inside location to my
                > hand held to get aprs info to me..

                From the alias being used, I am assuming that you know that only
                stations using TEMPn-N will be digipeated by your instance of
                APRSISCE/32 running outside in your vehicle, or where ever you have
                it, and you are also aware that you can not "pull" in stations that
                are being heard outside into the indoor location using such a concept.

                There are a number of people who have thought they could so just that
                with other setups.

              • Bill V WA7NWP
                Message 7 of 29 , May 31 5:43 PM
                  >On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:08 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                  > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM, kc9gqr <kc9gqr@...> wrote:
                  > > we are having a drill next week and it would be nice to have my
                  > > mobile set up be able to digi  temp2-2 to my inside location to my
                  > > hand held to get aprs info to me..
                  >
                  > From the alias being used, I am assuming that you know that only
                  > stations using TEMPn-N will be digipeated by your instance of
                  > APRSISCE/32 running outside in your vehicle, or where ever you have
                  > it, and you are also aware that you can not "pull" in stations that
                  > are being heard outside into the indoor location using such a concept.

                  I've had some limited success with "temporarily" adding WIDE2-1 and
                  WIDE2-2 to the list of aliases my D700 will digipeat. It doesn't get
                  all the packets it hears but it gets some with hops remaining. It's
                  good to set the power to LOW when doing this to reduce clutter.

                  Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                  entry? That's sometimes handy.

                  Bill - WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 31 6:36 PM
                    On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

                    > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                    > entry?   That's sometimes handy.

                    As in hearing a packet such as:

                    WA7NWP-9>APWW08,DIGI1*,WIDE2*:

                    and then digipeating that packet?

                    You might be able to set up a digiform

                    <DigiXform>WIDE1*=WIDE1*</DigiXform>
                    <DigiXform>WIDE2*=WIDE2*</DigiXform>

                    That would add an extra digipeat to a used up path, if the used up
                    path that APRSISCE/32 sees matches the first portion of the above
                    statement.

                    The question arises due to not knowing exactly what Lynn sees in the
                    incoming packet. The asterisk (*) above represents a bit in the
                    packet, which some TNCs represent with the asterisk, while others
                    don't show it at all. That's deeper into the workings of the packets
                    being handled than I have delved, or will be delving.

                    Lynn might be able to answer this when he gets back home and is bored,
                    or you can give it a try and see what happens.

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 31 11:07 PM
                      Remember that "RfPorts, IGate, Digi" work that I keep saying is next on the list for attention?  By the time I'm done with that, you should no longer need to edit the XML for setting up a digipeater.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA1 - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 31 11:10 PM
                        On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

                        > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                        > entry? That's sometimes handy.

                        It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
                        describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
                        what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
                        it would be considered handy and not harmful?

                        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA1 - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                        PS. If you could also mention what other software/hardware has such a
                        feature, I can point to "prior art" when someone says I've done
                        something stupid.
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 31 11:11 PM
                          Good guess James, but that won't work. APRSISCE/32 currently only
                          matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path. If they are all
                          used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
                          won't enter the digipeater logic.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                            On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                            <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                            > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                            >> entry?   That's sometimes handy.
                            >
                            > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option.  Can you
                            > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
                            > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
                            > it would be considered handy and not harmful?

                            The situation I can think of is the one where people want to sit in
                            the basement on their HT, yet be able to hear all the activity
                            happening on the network outside. The outgoing solution is to but the
                            radio in the mobile on as a TEMPn-N digipeater, and use it as the
                            first hop out of the basement. That however does not do anything for
                            moving ANYTHING heard outside down into the basement for the HT with a
                            rubber duck antenna on it.

                            There is a solution to that type of operation through. Take a TNC, put
                            it in KISS mode, and jumper the TX and RX lines on the computer port.
                            Anything heard will go out the TX line, and get fed back in the RX
                            line, and then get resent out over the air. Make sure the radio you
                            tie into is not on 144.390 simplex though, or you'll get a lot of
                            people upset with you. Have the radio RX on 144.390 and TX on a packet
                            frequency at low power so it gets into the basement...

                            Of course the much better solution is to put up and antenna on the
                            house, and connect a radio to it!

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                              On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                              <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                              > Good guess James, but that won't work.  APRSISCE/32 currently only
                              > matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path.  If they are all
                              > used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
                              > won't enter the digipeater logic.

                              I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                              the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                              has-been-digipeated bit set... right?

                              When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                              preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                              become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                              digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                              have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                              biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                              there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                              can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                              brain transplant.

                              Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                              extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                              best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                              dreams!

                            • vk2asy
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                My thought on extending hops beyond what was set in the first place, is more a problem if there are other stations able to hear the hop, and they add hops.. where does it stop..

                                I don't feel we should be able to add hops at the end..

                                I could have it completely wrong, and be on the wrong track!

                                ;-)

                                73 Kim

                                > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                > <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Good guess James, but that won't work.  APRSISCE/32 currently only
                                > > matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path.  If they are all
                                > > used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
                                > > won't enter the digipeater logic.
                                >
                                > I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                                > the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                                > has-been-digipeated bit set... right?
                                >
                                > When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                                > preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                                > become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                                > digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                                > have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                                > biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                                > there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                                > can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                                > brain transplant.
                                >
                                > Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                                > extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                                > best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                                > dreams!
                                >
                                > James
                                > VE6SRV

                              • apenadragon
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                  if one has a basement, then why can one not hang an antenna outside that would get better coverage than the mobile anyway, and just hook the HT to that....

                                  Just my .02

                                  Adam
                                  KC2ANT

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                    James,

                                    I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST this year for $10. The silly little phone portion works according to the previous owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an older KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any KISS TNC will work.

                                    I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am looking forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will be adding.

                                    Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess when it does come off. Automotive hook and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old dried residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.

                                    I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly little cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                      I'm curious as to what it takes exactly to connect one of these silly cell phones to an external TNC.

                                      and just so I'm clear, you have a windows phone, that's not being used as a phone, hooked to a TNC/Radio for useing APRSISCE?

                                      Adam
                                      KC2ANT

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                        A Bluetooth module will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port on the USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible to access it except for updating a ROM.

                                        My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network connection will not work, hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does make for a great digipeater.

                                        I'm curious as to what it takes exactly to connect one of these silly cell phones to an external TNC.

                                        and just so I'm clear, you have a windows phone, that's not being used as a phone, hooked to a TNC/Radio for useing APRSISCE?

                                        Adam
                                        KC2ANT

                                        > James,
                                        >
                                        > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST this
                                        year
                                        > for $10. The silly little phone portion works according to the
                                        previous
                                        > owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking
                                        that an older
                                        > KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved,
                                        would make a great
                                        > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually,
                                        just about any KISS TNC
                                        > will work.
                                        >
                                        > I am now on the hunt
                                        for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am looking
                                        > forward to the
                                        updated digi functions Lynn will be adding.

                                        > Leave off the duct
                                        tape, it makes a mess when it does come off. Automotive
                                        > hook and loop is
                                        pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old dried
                                        > residue yet.
                                        Goop-off doesn't work.

                                        > I currently have the APRS Mobile
                                        Platform, formally known as "silly little
                                        > cellphone", connected to a
                                        T2-301. Quite a nice setup!

                                        > Best regards,
                                        > Fred,
                                        N7FMH

                                      • apenadragon
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                          I was simply thinking that if I can pick up a windows phone on the cheap, use GPS and blue tooth to connect it to a TNC hooked to a radio, it might make one of my dumb trackers for an event into something a little more two way. If I've got it hooked to RF, I don't really need it to hit the IS portion.

                                          Really just thinking outloud, wonder how APRSISCE would work on a phone that has no network connectivity... thinking I'd have to load an SD card with the maps already from another source though....

                                          Adam
                                          KC2ANT

                                          > A Bluetooth module will work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial port
                                          > on the USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible
                                          > to access it except for updating a ROM.
                                          >
                                          > My Tilt doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate with
                                          > this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI for the network
                                          > connection will not work, hence the search for more USBEXT use data. It does
                                          > make for a great digipeater.
                                          >
                                          > Best regards,
                                          > Fred, N7FMH
                                          >

                                          > _____

                                        • Andre
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011

                                            > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                                            > > entry? That's sometimes handy.
                                            >
                                            > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
                                            > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
                                            > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
                                            > it would be considered handy and not harmful?
                                            >
                                            > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA1 - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                                            >
                                            > PS. If you could also mention what other software/hardware has such a
                                            > feature, I can point to "prior art" when someone says I've done
                                            > something stupid.

                                            digi_ned has that option, I think it was called digiend.
                                            a packet would come in as digi1*,digi2*,wide2* and go out as digi1*,digi2*,wide2*,mydigi*.
                                            The reason it was included is that at the time in the netherlands we had a seperate novice aprs frequentie on 70cm and wanted to be able to get all trafic that came in on 144.800 back out on 430.5125.

                                            other aplication where it would be handy is the superlan idea that sadly never toke off when the 144.39 fix came about.

                                            73 Andre PE1RDW
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                              Hi Adam,

                                              If you had been reading previous posts then the thinking will be minimal. It may not even produce smoke from the ears. :)

                                              I will tell you it works great. I have no SIM card in my phone so it is now only a mobile platform. I turned off W-Fi since I am never really using it near my network. That cured my BT/Wi-Fi contention. BT lost!

                                              I am using the Roving Networks RN-240M but I think Lynn is using a IOGear Bluetooth module. I was ordering other stuff from mouser so I added it.

                                              The GPS on the mobile platform works so another GPS is not really needed. The TNC only needs KISS.

                                              The Tilt does have a GPS antenna port but I have not found the HTC antenna or looked for a 3rd party antenna. Inside a car, on the roads I have traveled so far, reception has not been an issue. I do not have heavy woods with rain testing in yet. It does appear to shut off if I don't hit a key but I may have caused that by changing a setting.

                                              The thick tree cover wet with rain is the reason I picked up an amplified antenna for my usual GPS. FIXes are fixed now!

                                              APRSISCE is not GPS software, so I for now I will still use my usual GPS. The usual GPS does all the normal stuff a GPS is good for. Waypoints and tracking are two items that I depend on. Yeah, I know that waypoints can be APRSISCE non-RF objects and I have played with that a bit. APRSISCE will also record a track but not what I desire. This not an issue since the usual GPS does that just fine.

                                              Although, I found MapWM which will record a track which can be later uploaded directly to their web site. It can be downloaded in a couple of different formats later. A GPX file is one format made available which is what I use. This last weekend I was on a road that was not in the OSM database. I will attempt to update using the MapWM output after I edit it a bit. There may be other GPS software that will emulate my Garmin. I haven't looked very hard for it yet. Between APRSISCE with objects and MapWM for track recording, the usual GPS could stay home. Nah!

                                              APRSISCE and MapWM can access the Mobile Platform GPS concurrently. This is nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS could also be used and shared the same way. I have not been successful nor tried for more than a couple of minutes. I was actually using my Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it to it later but for now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo has to be adjusted for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.

                                              I picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...

                                              I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.

                                              href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                                              > Of apenadragon
                                              > Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011
                                              09:24
                                              > To:
                                              href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                              > I'm curious as to what it takes exactly to connect one of
                                              these silly cell
                                              > phones to an external TNC.
                                              >
                                              > and just so
                                              I'm clear, you have a windows phone, that's not being used as a
                                              > phone,
                                              hooked to a TNC/Radio for useing APRSISCE?

                                              > Adam

                                              KC2ANT

                                              href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred
                                              <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

                                              > > James,
                                              > >
                                              > > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones" at NEAR-FEST
                                              this year
                                              > > for $10. The silly little phone portion works according
                                              to the previous
                                              > > owner but I have not yet tested nor plan to. I was
                                              thinking that an older
                                              > > KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue
                                              is solved, would make a great
                                              > > DIGI and hope to do that at some
                                              point. Actually, just about any KISS TNC
                                              > > will work.
                                              > >
                                              > > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I
                                              am
                                              > looking
                                              > > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will
                                              be adding.

                                              > > Leave off the duct tape, it makes a mess
                                              when it does come off. Automotive
                                              > > hook and loop is pretty good. I
                                              haven't figured out how to remove old
                                              > dried
                                              > > residue yet.
                                              Goop-off doesn't work.

                                              > > I currently have the APRS
                                              Mobile Platform, formally known as "silly little
                                              > > cellphone",
                                              connected to a T2-301. Quite a nice setup!

                                              > > Best
                                              regards,
                                              > > Fred, N7FMH

                                            • apenadragon
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                                I'll be honest I'm pretty sporatic about reading posts. If they don't peak my interest, or pertain to something that I'm not actively working on I just kind of skim over them. But the phone somehow caught my attention.

                                                I know that APRSISCE isn't a GPS software, that would have to be handled by the phone. Honestly I'm not sure I could hook it to my current trackers anyway as they are TT3 dumb trackers.

                                                I'm proficient enough with my current mobile set up that adding this to the mix isn't something that I want. although I could add it to my D700 in the pick up truck which would give me maps... there I go, thinking out loud again.

                                                Have a vacation in July to pay for so this line of thinking will have to be put on the back burner for the time being.

                                                Adam
                                                KC2ANT

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                                  When you are ready, just ask and you will get more than you want probably. ;)

                                                  Fred, N7FMH

> [...]

                                                  > nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS
                                                  could also be used and shared the same
                                                  > way. I have not been successful
                                                  nor tried for more than a couple of minutes.
                                                  > I was actually using my
                                                  Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it
                                                  > to it later but for
                                                  now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo
                                                  > has to be adjusted
                                                  for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.

                                                  picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my

                                                  desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the

                                                  desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in
                                                  > the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...

                                                  I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is

                                                  running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.

                                                  KC2ANT

                                                  > --- In
                                                  href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred
                                                  > Hillhouse"
                                                  <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

                                                  > > A Bluetooth module will
                                                  work. I have one running. The Tilt has a serial
                                                  > port
                                                  > > on the
                                                  USBEXT connector but I have not determined how or if it is possible

                                                  to access it except for updating a ROM.

                                                  > > My Tilt
                                                  doesn't like Wi-Fi and BT running concurrently. So as an I-Gate

                                                  with
                                                  > > this particular unit using BT for theTNC connection and W-FI
                                                  for the
                                                  > network
                                                  > > connection will not work, hence the search
                                                  for more USBEXT use data. It
                                                  > does
                                                  > > make for a great
                                                  digipeater.

                                                  > > Best regards,
                                                  > > Fred,
                                                  N7FMH

                                                  From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                  href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
                                                  > Behalf
                                                  > > Of
                                                  apenadragon
                                                  > > Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 09:24
                                                  > > To:
                                                  aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                  > > Subject: [aprsisce] Re:
                                                  Aprsisce digi capable..

                                                  > > I'm curious as to what it takes exactly to connect one of these
                                                  silly cell
                                                  > > phones to an external TNC.

                                                  and just so I'm clear, you have a windows phone, that's not being used as
                                                  > > phone, hooked to a TNC/Radio for useing
                                                  APRSISCE?

                                                  > > Adam
                                                  > > KC2ANT
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In
                                                  href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>

                                                  <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred
                                                  > > Hillhouse"
                                                  <fmhillhouse@> wrote:

                                                  > > > James,
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I picked up one of those "silly little cellphones"
                                                  at NEAR-FEST this
                                                  > year
                                                  > > > for $10. The silly little phone
                                                  portion works according to the previous
                                                  > > > owner but I have not
                                                  yet tested nor plan to. I was thinking that an
                                                  > older

                                                  KPC3, not my 3+V8.3 unless the delay issue is solved, would make a great
                                                  > > > DIGI and hope to do that at some point. Actually, just about any
                                                  KISS
                                                  > TNC
                                                  > > > will work.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I am now on the hunt for another cheap silly little cellphone. I am
                                                  > > looking
                                                  > > > forward to the updated digi functions Lynn will
                                                  be adding.

                                                  > > > Leave off the duct tape, it
                                                  makes a mess when it does come off.
                                                  > Automotive
                                                  > > > hook
                                                  and loop is pretty good. I haven't figured out how to remove old

                                                  dried
                                                  > > > residue yet. Goop-off doesn't work.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I currently have the APRS Mobile Platform, formally known as
                                                  "silly
                                                  > little
                                                  > > > cellphone", connected to a T2-301. Quite
                                                  a nice setup!

                                                  > > > Best regards,
                                                  > > > Fred, N7FMH

                                                • apenadragon
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                                    More than likely I'm sure.

                                                    Thanks for the info though. I'll have to do some more thinking about it, now that I know it's capable.

                                                    Adam
                                                    KC2ANT

                                                    > When you are ready, just ask and you will get more than you want probably.
                                                    > ;)
                                                    >
                                                    > Fred, N7FMH
                                                    >
                                                    > _____

                                                  • Bill V WA7NWP
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
                                                      On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                                      <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                                                      > On 5/31/2011 8:43 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Does APRSISCE have an option to digipeat on a packet with NO next path
                                                      > > entry? That's sometimes handy.
                                                      >
                                                      > It does not and it sounds like a really dangerous option. Can you
                                                      > describe the function, what it actually does with each packet received,
                                                      > what the packet looks like after that promiscous digipeat, and why/when
                                                      > it would be considered handy and not harmful?

                                                      It's most useful running cross band. I've done it with Digi_ned to
                                                      bring all the packets from one frequency to another. Digi_ned has
                                                      the added benefit of being able to further decorate the outgoing path
                                                      so all the digied packets had identifying path-elements added.

                                                      The other place I can thing this would be handy would be acting like a
                                                      networking bridge - the old digi in the car to the station in the cafe
                                                      use case comes to mind.

                                                      Bill
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                                                        On 6/1/2011 3:11 AM, James Ewen wrote:

                                                        > I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                                                        > the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                                                        > has-been-digipeated bit set... right?

                                                        Yes. That's why the Kenwood-special modes (and future host/CONVerse
                                                        mode) doesn't support digipeating. The UNPROTO xxxxx VIA yyyy,zzzz
                                                        doesn't support transmitting the used bit on a path component.

                                                        > When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                                                        > preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                                                        > become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                                                        > digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                                                        > have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                                                        > biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                                                        > there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                                                        > can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                                                        > brain transplant.

                                                        I'm so wanting to be there, but I haven't even begun to delve how to
                                                        configure such a flexible beast. I want to do a new pre-emptive mode
                                                        that does the pre-emption, but preserves the skipped unused path to
                                                        allow use of a local booster digi while not requiring a truly custom
                                                        path. More when I wrap my head further around it, but you might
                                                        remember my questions a few months ago about just what the currently
                                                        expected behavior is for pre-emptive digis.

                                                        > Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                                                        > extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                                                        > best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                                                        > dreams!

                                                        Headed there myself shortly!

                                                        PS. I'm doing some catchup of e-mails that I didn't take the time to
                                                        answer while on vacation. Sorry about the delays!

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                                                          You've stated my concerns very well. Paths were meant to be consumed so
                                                          that packets will die or we're back to what was all wrong with RELAY and
                                                          WIDE.

                                                          On 6/1/2011 6:10 AM, vk2asy wrote:
                                                          > My thought on extending hops beyond what was set in the first place, is more a problem if there are other stations able to hear the hop, and they add hops.. where does it stop..
                                                          >
                                                          > I don't feel we should be able to add hops at the end..
                                                          >
                                                          > I could have it completely wrong, and be on the wrong track!
                                                          >
                                                          > ;-)
                                                          >
                                                          > 73 Kim
                                                          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen<ve6srv@...> wrote:
                                                          >> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                                          >> <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                                                          >>
                                                          >>> Good guess James, but that won't work. APRSISCE/32 currently only
                                                          >>> matches on the first UNUSED (no *) element of the path. If they are all
                                                          >>> used, you'll see an entry in Digi(NOT) that says so and that packet
                                                          >>> won't enter the digipeater logic.
                                                          >> I'm going to assume that when you shove the packet back out the door,
                                                          >> the WIDE1* actually ends up in the frame as WIDE1 with the
                                                          >> has-been-digipeated bit set... right?
                                                          >>
                                                          >> When you get deep into the digipeater logic, we'll talk about
                                                          >> preemptive digipeating and more. If those silly little cellphones
                                                          >> become trashcan fodder, they might be a nice little platform for smart
                                                          >> digipeaters. Hook into the old KPC-3 sitting on the mountaintop, and
                                                          >> have APRSISCE running on the cellphone doing the digipeating. The
                                                          >> biggest detractor to making the APRS network smarter is the fact that
                                                          >> there are so many KPC-3 TNCs out there that are limited on what they
                                                          >> can do. A little duct tape, and some wires and the KPC-3 can get a
                                                          >> brain transplant.
                                                          >>
                                                          >> Having a copy of APRSISCE at every digipeater would allow for some
                                                          >> extremely serious enhanced digipeater logic, and smart operations. I
                                                          >> best get to bed and let these thoughts dance their way through my
                                                          >> dreams!
                                                          >>
                                                          >> James
                                                          >> VE6SRV

                                                        • Bill V WA7NWP
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 15, 2011
                                                            > You've stated my concerns very well. Paths were meant to be consumed so
                                                            > that packets will die or we're back to what was all wrong with RELAY and WIDE.

                                                            It all depends on what you're doing with the packet. Gating
                                                            extending it to flood even further a flat network like 144.39 would
                                                            usually be bad. On the other hand, it might be needed to route the
                                                            packet up to a gateway digi on a mountain pass that then sent it down
                                                            the other side to a whole new community starved for packets..

                                                            Out here I've used the DIGI_NED feature of appending and modifying
                                                            paths very successfully to gate between frequencies.

                                                            For example, packets I heard on 145.01 would be gated to 144.39 with a
                                                            changed path.

                                                            Original packet:

                                                            BIG01Digi>;Hello World

                                                            Gated packet:

                                                            BIG01DIGI>NWP501*,WIDE8-8;Hello World

                                                            Folks could see the NWP501* and realize that was the route back to the
                                                            other channel so they could ping BIG01DIGI with a path of NWP501.

                                                            Back on 145.01, the packet would come out looking like:

                                                            XYZ>NWP439*,BIG01DIGI; Hello World...

                                                            (Packets are representative and not how the format really works...)

                                                            I'm not suggesting APRSISCE needs this but please don't shut the door
                                                            on an otherwise useful concept... There's so much more we could be
                                                            doing with packet than we are now...

                                                            Bill - WA7NWP
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jun 16, 2011
                                                              On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Bill V WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

                                                              > BIG01DIGI>NWP501*,WIDE8-8;Hello World

                                                              Now BIll's smoking something funny... Bill, you know better! WIDE7-7
                                                              is the largest available number of hops under the spec. 8)