compatible hardware setup

    Message 1 of 13 , May 23, 2011

      I am trying to gather together the compatible hardware and setups for the wiki on this page

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/compatible-hardware-software

      if you have hardware not listed and the setup for that hardware please could you let me know.

    • Keith Kaiser
      Message 2 of 13 , May 23, 2011
        I run it on my MacBook Pro using Wine and it runs and looks great.

      • kc8sfq@mei.net
        Message 3 of 13 , May 23, 2011
          Hi Steve:
          As you may or may not have noticed from recent discussions here on the group, The TAPR TNC2 and clones need a different EEPROM to use KISS mode. The IS32 program will put the TNC into KISS, but it'll drop back out of it's own accord at some random time.

          I may be the last ham running this antique, but it might be worth noting in the wiki anyway.

          Thanks and 73  Ron
          ++++++++++++++++++

          Message 4 of 13 , May 23, 2011

            I have a TNC2 clone and had no real issues, open/close commands along with quiet time kicked it back into kiss, Argent data will supply a TNC2KISS chip at minimal cost. That will change it to a kiss only TNC it’s a couple of $ plus post. They will also supply a UIDigi prom for free. To encourage digi.

            Thanks for reminding me to add a bit more detail on that.

            Unless of course you want to write it up. J

            Message 5 of 13 , May 23, 2011
              >Argent data will supply a TNC2KISS chip at minimal cost. That will
              change it to a kiss only TNC it's a couple of $ plus post.

              I was not aware that Scott could (would) do that. I think,  however,  I'll give him a little while to recover from Dayton, and catch up on the other stuff he had to push back to get ready for that delightful lunacy. If a cheep, kiss only TNC conversion will keep this old TNC going a little longer, It might be worth it.

              > I have a TNC2 clone and had no real issues, open/close commands along with
              > quiet time kicked it back into kiss,

              I tried that, but as Lynn pointed out, APRSIS32 doesn't care if a packet decodes properly, just that it's there (to reset the quiet-time timer).

              > Thanks for reminding me to add a bit more detail on that.
              >
              > Unless of course you want to write it up. :-)

              I'd be glad to .............IF i had some idea what I'm talking about. From our earlier discussion regarding "Dropping out of KISS" It is patently obvious that is NOT the case <grin>.

              I am sure glad there people who intimately understand this stuff and are willing to share their knowledge. Now........... if you want to talk about welding or machining, I can expound ad-nauseum. But, I digress, and that's a topic for another forum.

              Thanks and 73  Ron
            • Greg D

                Message 7 of 13 , May 23, 2011
                  Oh, also,

                  Other Linux distributions include  OpenSuSE 10.1 through 11.3 under either Wine or CrossOver Office.

                  For connecting a Serial TNC to APRSISCE/32 running in Wine or Crossover, you must add an entry to the Windows "Registry" (system.reg) for the following, in addition to the usual setting up of symlinks to the physical ports.

                  [HARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM] 1131331688
                  "COM1"="COM1"
                  "COM2"="COM2"

                  (Credit goes to:  http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Registry#Serial_Com_Port)

                  Greg  KO6TH

                  Greg D wrote:
                  Hi Steve,

                  I don't know if you want to take on another dimension to the table, but the HP iPAQ hw6945 (which you have listed) will drive an external serial TNC (including the Kenwood TH-D7 via a serial cable (p/n 419765-001).  It's awkward (the cable is thick and heavy), but it does work.

                  Greg  KO6TH

                  Steve Daniels wrote:

                  I am trying to gather together the compatible hardware and setups for the wiki on this page

                  http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/compatible-hardware-software

                  if you have hardware not listed and the setup for that hardware please could you let me know.

                • Bradley Haney

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 24, 2011
                      I theory the Tilt will as well. The USB port is really a USB EXT port that includes a serial port. It appears that most use it for reROMing the device. Of course my interest is the serial port.

                      SparkFun has a connector that might actually work with it. I just haven't confirmed the serial port is actually available for use.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 24, 2011
                        I am curious if anyone has tried a Bluetooth GPS with a Windows Mobile platform (phone) that has an internal GPS.

                        I am not getting a GPS connection and if you have it working would liked to know how.

                        Thanks!
                        Fred, N7FMH
                      • Lasse / LA5PPA
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 24, 2011
                          Hi, I have two GPS's that seems to be ok, running Windows 7 64bit

                          1) Navibe USB GPS Type: GM720
                          http://gsmserver.com/newshop/images/large/Navibe_GPS_Bluetooth_Receiver_GM720.jpg

                          2) Navibe Bluetooth GPS Type: GB737
                          http://www.pcdistrict.com/modules/productcatalog/product_images/144392-compass-systems-navibe-gb737-5850.jpg

                          --
                          Lasse / LA5PPA

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 24, 2011
                            I think the internal gpsAPI trumps the NMEA configuration, but I'm not sure.  I'll have to check out the source code when I get back home.

                            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ/EA - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 24, 2011
                              I did find an External GPS tool but in all my attempts, nothing worked. The Bluetooth port is connected to a COM port, but the one that is used for everyone to access is different. I will spend more time on it later using Putty. This way I can see data it it is really there.