8364Red Dot vs Dead Reckoning + More

    Apr 1, 2011
      Very well explained James. I have isolated the problem, implemented the
      solution, and am about to release a new Dev version for those of you
      that can (safely) see your screen while mobile can test (and hopefully
      verify) my correction. I base the Dead Reckoning of ME on whether or
      not you have Configure / Beacon / CourseSpeed checked. If so, ME will
      dead reckon based on the (hopefully) same information a recipient of
      your last beaconed packet would be using. If you don't beacon
      CourseSpeed, then I don't DR ME since you KNOW where you are and where
      you're heading and you haven't told anyone else anyway.

      As for the difference/similarity of ME's DR vs the Red Dot.... If you
      measure the deviation between ME's actual position and the corresponding
      DR symbol, scale that according to the Configure / Genius / Forecast
      Error setting, you'll have a bearing (from actual to DR) and a
      percentage of error (distance / Forecast Error * 100%). Plot that
      value on the circle based on the compass points where touching the
      circle = 100% and you have the red dot, a Visualization of the range and
      direction of the error between a time-based extrapolation of your last
      beaconed position, speed, and course vs your actual current position, in
      other words, the red dot displays the magnitude and direction of the
      error between where an outside observer thinks you are based on the time
      since and values within your last beacon and where you know yourself to
      actually be.

      If the DR is on top of you (constant, straight line motion), the red dot
      will be on top of you and invisible. You won't see the DR symbol
      either, most likely.

      If you speed up (still in a straight line), the DR symbol will start
      falling behind, and the red dot will start drifting towards the circle,
      lagging directly behind your current direction of motion, but the DR and
      red dot will be at different rates because the red dot is a percentage
      of the allowed Forecast Error (when it touches the circle), and the DR
      will be where that outside observer would think you are. So, the DR
      moves according to map scale and the red dot moves according to the
      magnitude of the allowed Forecast Error.

      If you slow down (still in a straight line, we can do that here in
      Florida for long distances), the DR symbol will start pulling out in
      front of your direction of motion, and so will the red dot, again at
      different rates. If you take the distance between your actual position
      and the DR symbol, divide it by the configured Forecast Error, that's
      relatively how far the red dot will be between the center and edge of
      the circle, still in your direction of motion.

      I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out where the DR
      and red dots will go if you vary just the direction and maintain speed
      (should drift away from you at 90 degrees) or if you vary both speed and
      direction.

      For extra credit, you can play the "red dot game" (yes, this is
      absolutely worse than just glancing at the APRSISCE/32 screen while
      driving). Purposely vary your speed and/or direction to control where
      the red dot is on the circle. Hint: it's a lot easier if you have a
      very long stretch of very straight road and works fairly well at giving
      you something to do to stay alert, even if not truly looking where
      you're going). Hint #2: it's highly discouraged to attempt to control
      the red dot in any orientation other than directly ahead or behind your
      current heading unless you're driving on a salt flat or something.
      Think about it....

      Now, to quit typing, do a few release notes entries, and get this
      development release out there for testing!

      On 4/1/2011 1:52 PM, James Ewen wrote:
      > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, apenadragon<kc2ant@...> wrote:
      >
      >>> So, I just need to fix ME's DR to use the last beaconed speed/heading
      >>> rather than the current GPS speed/heading and all will be well.
      >> Do you?? personally I don't see the issue... the DR is a projection of where
      >> the station "should" be...
      > Actually Adam, it sounds like you're missing the issue.
      >
      > If you take the last reported speed and heading and project that from
      > the last reported location, as time progresses, the dead reckoned icon
      > will move to where the station "could" be.
      >
      > The problem with what we are seeing is that Lynn is using the CURRENT
      > speed and heading, and projecting a possible location using that
      > information from the last reported location.
      >
      > Lets suggest that a position was reported, with a speed of 60 mph, and
      > a heading of 90 degrees. After one minute, the dead
      > reckoned position should be 1 mile east of the reported location.
      >
      > The way it is implemented, if I stop driving east after 30 seconds,
      > the DR position would return back to the last reported location. If I
      > were to turn south and drive for 1 minute at 60 mph (without sending
      > an updated position report), there would be a DR object 1 mile south
      > of the originally reported position.
      >
      > Now, if this instantaneous line were to originate from the current
      > location, it would still be wrong. The line leaving my current
      > location would not be a dead reckoned position, but rather a projected
      > location for a future position report based on the current speed and
      > course, projected into the future the amount of time since the last
      > reported position.
      >
      > When Lynn gets it straightened out, you'll see something interesting
      > happening. As Lynn said, if you continue in a straight line at a
      > constant speed, you won't see the projected icon. If the road turns,
      > or you change speed, then you'll see the projected (DR) icon continue
      > along the last reported vector. Once the Genius settings determine
      > that you've strayed too far, a new position report will be sent, and
      > the DR icon will start moving away from the reported position again.
      >
      > James
      > VE6SRV
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic