8359Re: Dead Reckoning (was: Instantaneous Course/Speed Vector)

  • apenadragon
    Apr 1 9:35 AM

      > RIGHT! That makes sense. The black square is the track point at which
      > a beacon was issued. James's image had a symbol there because his other
      > station used the same symbol. So, in James's picture we had 2 stations
      > at the same point, then one moved away beaconing a speed and direction.
      > ME's symbol moved with him realtime, while the DR ghost of the same
      > symbol moved out in front (or behind) based on his (improperly) current
      > speed/heading from the GPS, but the line on the DR (properly) went back
      > to his last beaconed position.
      >
      > I like the DR on ME from the last beaconed position, but it needs to
      > also be based on the then-beaconed speed and heading. It's kind of a
      > more visual indication of what the Red Dot shows relatively inside the
      > circle. If you accelerate in a straight line since your last beacon,
      > the red dot will fall behind and so will the DR ghost symbol. If you
      > decelerate, the red dot and the DR ghost will move ahead of your current
      > position. If you maintain the speed and heading from your last beacon,
      > you'll not even notice the DR ghost because it'll be sitting right on
      > top of ME. If you turn, you'll see the DR continue straight out from
      > the previous beacon point but visually on the screen it will look like
      > it's drifting to one side as ME moves the screen over to stay in the center.

      Sounds like you've got the understanding of what I saw...

      > So, I just need to fix ME's DR to use the last beaconed speed/heading
      > rather than the current GPS speed/heading and all will be well.

      Do you?? personally I don't see the issue... the DR is a projection of where the station "should" be...

      Can you tie the DR for ME with the Red Dot? I may be understanding it wrong, but I thought the Red Dot was the same thing showing up on the local screen... I turned mine off, I know where I am, and I know where I'm going, I don't really need to see the red dot, or my own DR icon, but it'd be handy to be able to still see everyone else's

      > PS. 19" mobile? Wow! I drive a big car (1985 Pontiac Parissienne) but
      > I wouldn't have room for 19"! Now my wife's (KJ4OVQ-9) Safari
      > might....Hmmmmmm.

      '06 Dodge Durango, my laptop fits nicely in the passanger seat, AND I found a USB to serial converter that seems to be working with Windows 7 to let me use the D700 when I need it for special events, or when the YL's (KC2ULK) lap needs to be warmed up ;)

      Adam
      KC2ANT (appretiative user of APRSIS32)
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic