7222Re: APRSISCE/32 short presentation?

  • Rob Giuliano
    Feb 28, 2011
      The last couple presentation I did for APRS did not even use powerpoint.  I literally connected my laptop to a projector and did a setup of APRSIS32 on it.

      1.  Copied the file (in my case from a thumb drive to a usable location on teh hard drive
      2.  Ran the EXE file and stepped through setup
            a) Client Config window
                    Callsign
                    left password at -1, but explained it
                    Set Quiet to 0 (zero)
                    Left everything else at defaults until later
                    Skipped Genius and NMEA until later
            b) Moved map to location and zoomed for detail
                > Menu <Transmit> to set location
            c) Let some data come through and then explain what is it is
                With current weather conditions, this could get rather interesting!
                > stations
                > objects
                > any other info and symbols
            d) Then I went back to explain filtering
                 Provided a handout of filtering page from the WEB
                       http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx:
            e) after that, I started to cover allowing it to transmit
                  > first APRSIS password
                  > Then TNC configuration
          I had my car sending data and a MicroTrak8000 stuck in a window to ensure I'd see at least 1 station with a minimal setup in a conference room.  Luckily we had a window to set the Microtrack near.
            f) Beyond that, I gave info on the user group and WIKI (in the handout)

      3.  That pretty much covered the 30 minute talk I gave, but I did discuss a bit about trackers vs APRS stations.  This was somewhat discussed as stations came in.
      Almost everyone there commented about how much better it was to see a setup from scratch and watch it "pull in station" rather than see slides and not necessarily have access.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      The difference between CW and other digital
      modes comes down to 2 characters:
      ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
      ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic