4269Re: [aprsisce] Yaesu VX-8GR computer connection - NOT

  • lists@ke4nyv.com
    Dec 2, 2010
      31F here in Virginia.

      Back at Dayton, I picked up a GR to play with when the Yaesu guys brought one over to my booth to play with. I got a chance to test the "serial port" with some of my Kenwood D7 cables. Luckily, they stuck with the same pinout, so the cables were compatable. I did two tests on site. First, I connected a Garmin GPS in NMEA mode to the radio and observed the positions of other stations being mapped on the screen. OK, cool, confirmed $GPWPL string output. What else was coming out? So I grabbed one of our Kenwood D7 serial cables, plugged it in and looked at it with HyperTerminal in 4800 baud. Sure enough, there were $GPWPL strings coming out, but that was it. I was dissapointed, but still had some hope for it. I ended up buying one by the end of the weekend.

      After I came home, I whipped up a simple logging logging program in VB.net just to grab the strings and display them in a list showing the callsign, lat and lon. Nothing special, but interesting non the less. I have the program up for download, for anyone interested:

      http://www.ke4nyv.com/software.htm

      Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics, LLC
      www.rpc-electronics.com