4267Re: [aprsisce] Yaesu VX-8GR computer connection - NOT

  • Steve
    Dec 2, 2010
      well its only 29f here in Charlotte NC so consider yourself LUCKY!

      Brrrrrrrrrrr
      Steve W, kf6wax

      On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      I believe he's expecting APRS software to interpret the NMEA waypoint
      sentences and put stations on the map like non-APRS-aware GPSs do. The
      standard NMEA GPS position sentences would certainly be accepted by
      APRSISCE on an NMEA port, but he is correct that the waypoint sentences
      (like $GPWPL, $PGRMW, $PKWDWPL(Kenwood), $PMGNWPL(Magellan)) will be
      ignored (currently).

      IMHO, APRS software is expecting APRS packets and can get full
      information from them. Dumbing down APRS software to accept only what
      an NMEA data source might think it can display on a GPS is just dumb.
      Yaesu needs to wake up and open the capabilities.

      I still stand on my non-confusingly correct statement that the "Yaesu
      VX-8 family doesn't support connection to a computer to access the
      internal TNC". If a reader confuses "TNC" with "NMEA GPS", then we've
      got some education to do as I'm attempting in this message.

      PS. Please pardon the crotchety tone in this message, but it's 45F at
      6:45am before a full day and I'm not yet thinking clearly enough to tone
      it down, but if I don't answer it now, it will probably never get
      answered...

      Colin Catlin wrote:

      > I know Fugawi mapping software will take NMEA data from almost any
      > device and can output that data on another Com Port (Real or Emulated)
      > to go to APRSIS32 if that helps (I did do that yesterday). I don't see
      > why APRSIS32 wouldn't take the NMEA Data direct from the FT-350 (if
      > not the VX-8series) to display on its maps.
      >

      > 73,
      > Colin.
      >
      > On 02/12/2010 06:11, OZ1BZJ wrote:
      >>

      >> Hi
      >>
      >> The below statement can be misunderstood. There are possibility to
      >> connect the VX8GR to a PC to get position data out. But there is a
      >> big but. The data from the processor in the radio are NMEA and are
      >> better for connecting to a GPS to show there as waypoints. To my
      >> understanding with out having a FT350 at my hands it work the same way.
      >> I am not aware of a APRS program that can show these NMEA data on a
      >> map. No matter what it will from the pc side be RX only.
      >>
      >> 73 de OZ1BZJ
      >> Michael
      >>
      >> ----- Original meddelelse -----
      >> > >

      >> > I hate to disappoint you, but the Yaesu VX-8 family doesn't support
      >> > connection to a computer to access the internal TNC. The only option
      >> > you have with that particular radio is to tie into the microphone and
      >> > speaker and run the audio out to a traditional TNC.
      >> >
      >> > Their FTM-350 only just started supporting received APRS packets going
      >> > to a computer interface from the internal TNC, but it doesn't yet
      >> > support transmitting.
      >> >
      >> > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic