4245Re: [aprsisce] Radar overlays

    Dec 1, 2010
      Minor each time, or minor as accumulated over time?

      This client may be running with 8-10 year old data sets. How bad would
      it be for someone to not take action because APRSISCE/32 showed that
      they were outside the warning area, but only because that area had been
      moved since their last update?

      My other issue is that when I tried to actually find and download the
      region definitions, they're only available in one place and
      (dis)organized as only a government can design (by committee with N
      levels of oversight).

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Still the paranoid one...

      Steve wrote:

      > The definitions are usually changed around twice a year I believe, the
      > boundary changes are very minor as a rule!
      > 73
      > Steve W kf6wax
      >
      > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      > <kj4erj@... <mailto:kj4erj@...>> wrote:
      >

      > Mike Miller wrote:
      > > Any chance of getting weather radar overlays or equivalent?
      > >

      > Julian already told you about left/right for map transparency
      > (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/transparency), but wisely left this
      > one for
      > an archive search. If you've already done that, we'll see how
      > consistent I'm being...
      >
      > Radar overlays require non-APRS-sourced dynamic data that comes from
      > other places on the Internet. My intent is to focus primarily on
      > directly amateur radio-sourced, preferably APRS-sourced data features
      > for APRSISCE/32. So, the short answer is: it's on the bottom of the
      > ToDo list. Here's some related features that will be coming first,
      > although possibly not soon:
      >
      > Area objects - These are APRS-standard objects that draw shapes on
      > the maps
      >
      > Weather and Telemetry graphs - Time-accumulated graphs of weather and
      > telemetry parameters
      >
      > Alternate map pane sources - Provide an easier way to switch to
      > user-identified 256x256 pane map panels
      >
      > UI-View map support - Abiltiy to use arbitrarily sized/scaled
      > (.INF-defined) UI-View maps
      >
      > One of my concerns with the radar overlays is the possibility of
      > incorrect data display if the defined area boundaries change and the
      > user has not yet updated to the current definitions. I error on the
      > side of caution rather than incorrect data display since the actual
      > alerts don't provide any version reference back to the definitions on
      > which they are based. Does anyone know how often the defintions are
      > changed anyway?
      >
      > And now that I've gone this far, I realize that you asked about
      > "radar..or equivalent" which may or may not be related to the weather
      > area alerts that I've discussed above. Is this what you're asking
      > about
      > or is there another UI-View feature (you mentioned that you've
      > used it
      > for years) of which I'm unaware.
      >
      > Just to update you all, I've only run UI-View for about a week or so
      > well over a year ago. When I learned of the demise of the source
      > code,
      > I decided to write my own and remomved UI-View so as not to be unduly
      > influenced by what was done before. For a similar reason, I also
      > don't
      > run xastir (coupled with the fact that I only ever got it to work
      > in a
      > VM, not a native Windows build). So, if you want a feature from
      > one of
      > these programs, please be prepared to define the functionality, data
> [...]
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic