42Re: [aprsisce] Re: APRSISCE Lock Fix & New Features!

  • Noel Shrum
    Aug 10, 2009
      Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
      > Noel,
      >> So I was just comparing the two versions of the program,
      >> and I think I figured out what it is I didn't like about the normal one:
      >> The icons get too small when you zoom out to see more map. Just too
      >> small on the 3" VGA screen for my taste.
      > So, they get too small too quickly in both versions, right? I only
      > expanded them in the second, but didn't change when/how they get small.

      Yeah... they get too small.
      I'd rather them just overlap than get really small.

      >> I do kinda like the bigger icon at higher zoom levels.
      >> I don't think they really need to made any bigger.. at least not on this
      >> screen. But it would make them look nicer at high zoom, so I'll work on
      >> that.
      > So the 2x maximum expansion looks good to you? I concur with that
      > opinion as well.

      I think 2x the "normal" size would be good on a VGA device.

      >> Also, what overall size (X/Y) should I make the grid for the larger icon
      >> set?
      > To get them up to double size clearly, we'll need each square to be 42
      > pixels instead of the current 21 pixel squares (21-4 giving the 17x17
      > icons that the program ends up painting).
      > I did a quick experiment here with IrfanView and I think if you start
      > with just a resize/resample 200% retaining aspect ratio, you'll have a
      > good starting point to clean them up. As I mentioned before though, try
      > to make sure that all non-important pixels are actually pure white
      > (RGB(255,255,255)) or they won't go transparent correctly.

      Will do.

      > I'm trying to figure out how to fade them out and keep the transparency
      > so I quit getting the square around fading stations. If you look close
      > at the red dot in the screen caps you sent me, you can see what I'm
      > talking about. I was drawing it at 50% fade, but that messes up the
      > transparency. I'm going back to 100% for the red dot, but aging
      > stations will still start having a square around them as they fade.
      > I'll get it fixed somehow!

      I guess I didn't mess around with that too much... it didn't bother me.

      > Thanks again for any efforts you can do on getting clearer, bigger
      > icons. I'm hoping that I can just use them for all resolutions with the
      > 320x240 phone just using them at 50% with Win32 doing the scaling for
      > me. Scaling down tends to look better than scaling up!
      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic