3961Re: [aprsisce] Re: MA tileset

  • M E
    Nov 1, 2010
      Lynn, this would be an awesome thing as I want to use this for Search and Rescue.

      What's the chances of building a few Search and Rescue features into the program as well?

      And.. How about an easy way to download a large area worth of tiles?  I need the system to be able to be completely stand alone..

      On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      Thanks to Fred for finding and publishing this alternate tile source.
      Be aware that you should also set a different <OSMTiles> directory if
      you change tile sources or they'll be mixed and matched based on what's
      already in the cache.

      Unfortunately Lars has only rendered "final" tiles comprising all layers
      for MA at this time. If you browse to http://toposm.com/us/ you'll be
      able to zoom in on his work on the US, but don't expect to see those
      maps on APRSISCE/32 yet. He's actually doing the multi-image layering
      directly in your browser, something that APRSISCE/32 can't do (yet).
      Even if I do tackle the layering, it'd mean fetching three tiles for
      each 256x256 map region rather than the single tile that covers that
      space today.

      You can read about his work and data sources at
      http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TopOSM/Details

      Consider the following layer tiles from one little piece of the USA
      (It's a small area outside of Johnstown, PA where I was born).

      http://tile1.toposm.com/us/color-relief/12/1151/1545.jpg
      http://tile1.toposm.com/us/contours/12/1151/1545.png
      http://tile1.toposm.com/us/features/12/1151/1545.png

      Pick the right URL prefix and server from those and you could have one
      of those layers in APRSISCE/32, but not all of them until someone
      renders and serves merged tiles or APRSISCE/32 handles the layering.

      PS. If anyone knows of other sources of non-license-encumbered tile
      sources, I'm considering adding a feature to APRSISCE/32 to make it
      easier to switch tile sources. Just be aware that you should also give
      each tile set it's own OSMTiles directory in the meantime!

      w7boz wrote:
      > They are beautifull. I checked out the ones for the USA. Zoomed into my area. How would I use them here in Northern Utah?
      > Kevin
      > W7BOZ
      >
      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Greetings,
      >>

      >> For those that live in Massachusetts, or frequent the area, you should check
      >> out these settings:
      >>
      >> <OSM.Server>tile2.toposm.com</OSM.Server>
      >> <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
      >> <OSM.URLPrefix>/ma/final/</OSM.URLPrefix>
      >>
      >> It changes the tiles set to topographical tiles. Thanks to Lars Ahlzen,
      >> these are beautifully rendered! This state provides a lot of data.
      >>
      >> You can also see them here: http://www.toposm.com/ma/

      >> Fred Hillhouse Jr
      >> http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic