2905Re: [aprsisce] Re: D7 & RF only using APRSIS32

  • Kai Gunter Brandt
    Sep 1, 2010
      On 09/01/2010 03:15 PM, James Ewen wrote:
      > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:41 PM, huf1967 <jayschinkel@...> wrote:
      >

      >>> You can't have the laptop
      >>> running APRSISCE/32 controlling the D7 while the D7 is in APRS mode.
      >>>
      >> By being in APRS mode I'm assuming you're referring to the
      >> D7 beaconing or just having the TNC open, packet mode ??
      >>
      > Nope, I mean having the D7 in APRS mode. You can have the D7 acting as
      > it's own boss, or just being a plain old TNC. In APRS mode the
      > software built into the D7 looks after reading the incoming GPS data,
      > creating APRS position packets, and sending them at the appropriate
      > time, as well as being able to send messages. It also decodes incoming
      > packets, and shows the information on the display. When you are in
      > packet mode, all the internal APRS smarts are turned off, and you need
      > to have an external program look after figuring out what to send, and
      > how to display what is received.
      >
      > You can't have the D7 in APRS mode AND have APRSISCE/32 running the
      > show as well. Too many bosses trying to do the same job. The D7
      > doesn't share any APRS data out the PC port, and ignores anything
      > APRSISCE/32 is trying to tell it.
      >
      > To make things more interesting, the D710 does have a permissive APRS
      > control program. It will let an outside program snoop on what it is
      > doing, and the outside program can also poke it's nose in, and tell
      > the D710 what do say. The D710 will also share the GPS data through
      > that same port. If you had a D710, you COULD do what you are trying to
      > do with the D7.
      >
      > James
      > VE6SRV

      I think we have been on this topic before or was it on a different
      group? anyhow

      You can receive aprs traffic when it's in APRS mode but not in the
      regular format.
      But it's quite easy formating.
      You can also read/write messages with a computer while in APRS mode.

      Just use this as a refference
      http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/ham/d7.html and see if there are any
      limitations.

      Kai Gunter