      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:12:15 -0700
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Stupid as a rock

      John VE7JWS / VA7WS wrote...

      > I've been running a receive-only IGate using UI-View for over
      > 3 years now as VA7WS. I decided to try APRSISCE, since UI-View
      > isn't being supported anymore.

      There's nothing wrong with trying APRSISCE, but UI-View is
      very well supported by thousands of users on the UI-View support
      group, and it works it as well as it ever did. It just isn't
      being developed any more as the author G4IDE is SK.

      It should also be mentioned that a "receive only IGate" isn't
      always in the best interest of users around you. One that is
      "receive only" can't gate APRS messages out to mobile APRS
      users around you. I see VE7ROM-1 about 3-4 km to your NE,
      and VE7OGO-1 about 15-20 km to your SW. Both claim to be
      digipeaters and fully-functional IGates.

      I'm sure Lynn and other APRSISCE users will be able to
      give you a hand getting the IGate function going, but I
      would suggest not making it "receive only".

      What callsignSSID is APRSISCE using? Looking at VA7WS, I see
      UI-View sending a beacon every 15 minutes. I don't see any
      evidence of the same callsign using APRSISCE at least not
      since Aug 26. If it can't connect to the APRS-IS, it can't
      be an IGate.

      PS - I can see VE7SHE-9 on RF as well as VE7ROC and BGWHTE.
      They aren't using excessive paths, but they are making it
      to THYNNE which I can hear.

      --
      73 Keith VE7GDH
      UI-View32