25851Brain Storming on a Mobile APRS

  • Don Poaps
    Jun 27, 2014
      Greetings

      I have a local ham friend who runs a Kenwood D710A with GPS.
      He's interested in getting a RAM mount and mounting Laptop in his pickup. Is there a way he can use this program while mobile with NO internet. I know the Tiles are downloaded and stored for awhile on the Hard drive. If he's rolling down the highway and pulling his trailer (RV). I know the message part will work, but the map part is what I'm trying to grasp.

      I know the other APRS program can sort of work using MS map program. I'm not sure if there's away a mobile can use an outside source like CD map program to pull in data while they are mobile. We have a lot of off road hams here in BC. They are very interested in this mode as their family/friends can see where they are as well as send text messages out etc.

      I really like APRSIS32.

      If any one interested Vector (Vancouver Emergency Telecom Group) will have 4 Kenwood THD72 A (VCT???) plus I'll have mine as va7tsa-8. ( Satern) and other Hams units. We'll be doing demonstration during field day. I'll have my laptop sent up for messaging, use of the APRS for tracking etc..

      Don va7dgp

      --
      Don Poaps
      New Westminster, BC