25252Re: [aprsisce] Mobile Use with a Wifi Hot Spot

    Mar 11, 2014
      On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:16 PM, <gil.chapin@...> wrote:

      > So now here's my dilemma. When the software determines it's time
      > for a beacon to go out, it keys the radio's transmitter. It apparently
      > also sends out a TCP/IP version of the beacon too. I don't want it
      > going out both ways. Most of the time, when I'm in a well covered
      > area, I just want the RF beacon to go out and to "listen" on the
      > internet for traffic that might show up in addition to what's received via RF.
      >
      > Am I misunderstanding the situation? Is there some setting I'm not
      > getting right? If I turn off beaconing in the general configuration, doesn't
      > that preclude RF beaconing as well as TCP/IP beaconing?

      Configure|Ports|APRS-IS

      Uncheck Beacon

      That should disable the position reporting via APRS-IS, while leaving
      other functions in place.

      > Sorry if this is confusing. I guess "you had to be there" to understand this...

      Been there, done that...

      That's the way I like to run my station as well. The radio does a fine
      job of acting as an APRS station, but I'd like to augment my RX
      capability by having APRSISCE/32 snoop over the TM-D710's shoulder and
      display all that it hears coming out the com port.

      I'd also like to be able to send and receive messages using the screen
      and keyboard of the laptop rather than typing on the microphone.

      I think your description and requirement for making me think just got
      me to possibly have a solution...

      I'm out in the boonies working far too many hours a day to be able to
      think straight, and I don't have my interface cable with me either to
      test, so I'll have to shelve this concept for about a month.

      Anyone want to come play in the bush?

      http://aprs.fi/ve6srv