25244Re: [aprsisce] need some help on map tiles

  • Keith Boyer
    Mar 10, 2014
      Thank you for the credit of trying. :)  See below.

      On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      Good answers all.  Thanks.

      X is the same as Exit, so no issues there.  The only thing that should cause a lost of configuration file is:

      a) Windows crashing

      laptop did not crash.

      b) Two instances somehow sharing a single default directory (last to close wins)

      Not sure how to answer that.

      c) Some directory sync programs replacing the updated config with an older one (I've had this happen)

      d) Running in a temp directory (running from the .ZIP does this)

      Not running a temp directory on aprs.

      e) Something going bump in the night (in other words, something I haven't thought of)

      Not sure.

      (and yes, only became 5, that's why I let my programs do the counting for me).

      I strongly discourage attempts to manually straighten out map tile directories.  Nothing is worse than getting mixed tiles from two different sources in a single set's directory tree.

      I already removed the ADA folder out of the OSM folder.

      Re-create the set, give it a brand new empty directory, and see what you get after a few restarts.  Make sure it is working as desired before fetching lots and lots of tiles.

      I did make a new ADA set tile and it kept on the menu.

      One question: If your new tile set is drawing from OpenStreetMaps, why make it a new set?  That's what the default set does.

      Ok, not sure how to answer that.

      On 3/10/2014 2:31 PM, Keith Boyer wrote:
      Hi Lynn,

      Please see below.

      On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      First, consider: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/what-am-i-missing and then some questions:

      0) Was this an existing installation to which you added the tile set, or a new installation?

      This is an existing install in which I added a tile set file.

      1) Are you sure you started the same executable in the same directory?

      Good question, actually, I did not have it in the  OSMTiles file until now.  So the ADA tiles file is now in the OSMTiles file.

      2) Are you sure you unzipped the program to an empty directory and are not running it from within the .ZIP file?

      This does not apply.

      3) Did it only lose the tile set configuration or all of your configuration?

      I am not sure how to answer this.  But I can say that I do have ADA2014 folder does have folder #'s 10 - 18 with APRSIS32.osm at the bottom.  I did double click on folder #10 and did find 3 maps of Polk county.

      4) Did you cleanly exit the program after adding the new tile set, or did you pull the carpet out from under it (unclean shutdown)?

      No, I click the X which was an unclean shutdown.  Should have used EXIT instead.

      5) How do you know "the info is gone" and "the new tile set is gone"?  Did you double-check that it was even getting information before you quit the first time?

      I am not sure if I can say it is gone based upon my answers to your questions above.  I am not sure how to double check the info before I quit the program.

      6) If you fetched a bunch of tiles, they must have gone SOMEWHERE (unless you were running out of the .ZIP).  Search your hard drive for numbered directories containing bunches of little numbered .PNG files.  That's how the tiles are stored.

      Interesting, I did a search for  "10 dot PNG" and came back with the 109347 series to 109412.  I did see some of the roads that are on the tour. So do I copy or cut and paste those files to the ADA file in the OSM?

      7) If you try it again, configure the tile set, close the program and restart to make sure it is still there.I

      I will do a test again with the above file corrections.  And see if the tiles are there after a CLEAN exit. :)

      8) Zoom and pan the map a bit, wait for the tiles to resolve, close the program and restart and make sure they don't need to fetch again.

      I think I follow you.

      9) Rinse and repeat as often as necessary until you figure out what's going worng (sic).

      OK, Thanks, :)

      On 3/9/2014 9:17 PM, Keith Boyer wrote:
      Lynn or whomever,

      I am working on getting ready the the ADA bike tour next Sunday.  I trying to make a separate file for the mapping of the routes.  I did read over the tile sets and did the tile set box as:

      NAME: 2014 ADA

      SERVER:  tile.openstreetmap.org

      MIN 0, RETAIN 5 , MAX 18  (what is suggested for the MIN, RETAIN number setting)

      I created a file folder in APRS on the laptop (2014 ada) for the tiles to go to. I spent an hour going over the 100 mile route. I went to resume my progress this afternoon and found that the info is gone....   The new tile set that I added is gone as well.

      What am I missing / doing wrong?  :)

      Thank you,

      KeithBoyer N4TRN
      OrangeCounty ARES
      AECAssistant Manager Skywarn Orange County

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic