24387Re: [aprsisce] my adress book was stolen

  • Dennis Smith
    Nov 12, 2013
      Your address book was not stolen and it would not have been through a genuine Google domain. The the email was sent from your account directly. You may not realise it when an account is hacked the people who have gained access to it often sit on your account for a while before doing anything abusive, the sit and read your mail and look at the sent mail to work out what other services you use and to establish whether or not you are likely to have used the same email and password details on all of them, and if you use certain services to sell on your details to hacking syndicates who may use your account differently IE, social engineering if you are going on holiday then they may wait until you are AFK and send messages to people from your account suggesting you were stranded overseas and passports detained unless money was sent to you. The other use for an email account would be to see if there was any hints of what bank you used and if your details were available in your messages. I see the email was sent from a hotmail account, one of the least secure email providers. May I suggest changing to one that is fully secure? Gmail really is the best there is unless you setup your own mail server. Does your email provider offer 2 factor authentication? Do you use it? (obviously not), Do you have a good password Ie 10+ mixed upper and lower case and numbered password? Or is it something guessable? Do you log in using SSL? or is your password sent in the clear?

      I find hotmail security an oxymoron, inadequate at best. They never used to encrypt the passwords on the servers and information was sent using weak or in the clear security. They never used to use 2nd factor authentication (but might now). Yahoo are no better.

      Even if you have change passwords, your account might still be easily accessed if the cookies in your browser have not been flushed and the browser cache cleared too. What browser(s) do you use and what security do you have, and what sites do you browse? Do you run any toolbars? Do you have any addons from unapproved sources (by your browser developers)?

      The action of visiting a site that appeared to be Googles may or may not have been a poorly timed coincidence.

      I would be interested in discussing this off list if you wish to help re-secure your account.

      Dennis Smith
      M1DLG

      On 12 November 2013 10:08, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      In the meantime, I've placed your account on moderation which is our standard response.  That gives the moderators a chance to kill bogus posts until the dust settles.  I hope the damage isn't too great.

      On 11/12/2013 4:05 AM, Gervais Fillion wrote:

      hi all
      well i am sorry here,my adress book was stolen  after a visit at Google site to register at one of their services,at least it began there.
      i am serching the malicious files now.
      i am sorry to causing you problems
      please dont open my files yet

      thanks