23974Re: [aprsisce] Baycom or BP-1 Interface??

    Sep 26, 2013
      If you interfaced to it through AGW, then keep that same interface and configure an AGW port in APRSISCE/32.

      Otherwise, it will need to support a standard serial port and the KISS protocol, but if it's truly a bit-banger as described earlier, APRSISCE/32 won't interface to it directly.

      On 9/26/2013 7:47 AM, Gervais Fillion wrote:
      In my packet years i used it and it was great now it has been recycled on APRS.
      will see if i can start it now with APRSIS
      thanks for your comments even if you loose me at some point too ,,

      gervais

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: ko6th.greg@...
      Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:15:04 -0700
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Baycom or BP-1 Interface??

      I used one - built it myself - for a couple of years, only retiring it when I grabbed a "real" TNC at a ham event.  That was about the same time that I transitioned off Windows, um, 95? to something more modern (where the software stopped working so well).

      Baycom is just a modem, providing a serial bit stream of what the modem hears from the radio.  If I recall, the bit stream is NOT broken into flag-removed bytes with start and stop bits (normal serial I/O), so you can't simply plug it into a normal serial port.  The Baycom interfaces would connect the serial data stream into one of the modem control lines, as a 1-bit software-visible register.  The PC's software would poll the control line, timing the bit transitions and reconstructing essentially a KISS byte stream of it, and then layering a TNC on top of that.  I never found that the data stream was accessible independent of the TNC, nor that there were any recent (last 15 years) systems that used it.  Making the hardware usable in a modern (last 15 years) APRS network would be interesting.

      Greg  KO6TH

      James Ewen wrote:

      On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Gervais Fillion <ve2ckn2@...> wrote:

      > i have an Igate uneder Uiview that is using an Baycom as interface ,not a
      > tnc.

      The Baycom provides basic I/O if I recall... does it do KISS?

      > Can APRSIS run with such a device,

      If it does KISS, APRSISCE/32 can use it.

      > i think i am using AGWPE also,,as connection betwen radio and software.

      APRSISCE/32 supports AGWPE, so if you are using AGWPE, you can use
      APRSISCE/32 with it.