23951Re: [aprsisce] RE: Problem with sending message via RF

  • Rob Giuliano
    Sep 22, 2013
      But the MAIN POINT of the group MUST BE to provide CLARITY - SPECIFICALLY with respect to the answer to the question posed - without confusion.

      When I read your response to Lynn, had I been the person who posed the question, I could have been confused - SPECIFICALLY because the statement directly said the answer was "inaccurate", while quoting pretty much the whole answer.

      >> You really should use the "RF Only" option on the Chat dialog
      >> to force it to RF and keep APRS-IS Messages enabled. This allows
      >> lots of capability including continuing an APRS QSO with a station
      >> that might have left your range but is still within range of another
      >> message-gating IGate. If you have APRS-IS Messages disabled, you'll
      >> simply lose the QSO.
      >
      > The above is an inaccurate observation. Hundreds of stations with RF
      > only access successfully send and receive APRS messages with stations
      > outside of their local RF network by having their messages injected
      > into the APRS-IS by other i-gates in the area.

      The assumptions were to make a point about settings, not to "bash or imply inability" of the system.  Countering them "could have been done" in a method that was less aggressive to the point being made (and therefore less confusion to the person LOOKING FOR ANSWERS".

      Don't get me wrong, the banter and comments all have value and are opportunity to learn more about APRS in general and APRSISce/32 specifically.  I know I have learned more from those points.

      BUT the points need to be made without confusion about the original message's question or request for assistance.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO