23950Re: [aprsisce] RE: Problem with sending message via RF

    Sep 22, 2013
      On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

      > I don't have full original message, but the point (as I read it) was EVEN WITH "force RF"
      > enabled, a user "should" keep APRS-IS messages enabled (don't disable it) because
      > "if you lose the RF by the other station leaving your range", you still have the IS system
      > (or IS-> RF from another I-Gate.
      >
      > That is STILL good advice so the message gets to them.
      > Disabling APRS-IS messages when forced RF is check reduces your options,
      > especially if IGATE access is limited in the area.

      Yes, your options are reduced IF you have internet access. If you are
      where there are no i-gates, and you have internet connectivity turned
      off, then you would simply lose the QSO when the other station moves
      out of RF range.

      The point was that there were assumptions being made with the original
      statement... it was assumed that there were no i-gates in the area,
      and that the user HAD access to the internet. To "simply lose the QSO"
      when a station moves out of local RF range requires all internet
      access (both internal and provided by others) to be non-existent.

      BTW, "local RF range" includes the whole area which an RF signal can
      be heard, not only directly, but through ALL accessed digipeaters.

      If you have internet access, and RF access, then allowing both methods
      to be used to deliver a message is good advice, but losing
      connectivity via one port does not necessarily cause the loss of
      communications capability.