23749Re: [aprsisce] APRS, ISS & TCPIP Packets

  • pfbram
    Aug 29, 2013
      Will do.   I'm currently not at my home QTH so can't provide all the specifics at the moment.  I believe I've followed the satelliteops wikidot page carefully, but will double-check tonight.  I am able to access my setup notes right now.  This is what I wrote when experimenting with cabling (Kenwood TM-V71A + RC-D710 add-on):

      The Data communications cable is plugged into the back of the TM-V71A DATA port.
      The other ends are plugged into the PC soundcard:
      * The cable with the green tape is plugged into the Microphone jack (the bottom jack).
      * The cable with the pink tape is plugged into the Line In jack (the middle jack).

      Option A:
      Kenwood's MCP-2A Memory Control Program works only of the Serial cable is plugged into the back of the main TM-V71A rig's PC port.
      The other end is plugged into the USB-to-Serial converter, and this is plugged into an open USB port on the computer.  If it is ever
      necessary to switch USB ports, double-check to see that the COM assignment hasn't changed.

      Option B (ordinarily what I do):
      If using this rig as an APRS/Packet station, the Serial cable is plugged instead into the back of the RC-D710's COM port.

      ....What I usually do when working the ISS is to hit the 'BCON' button on the rig itself.  Then I mainly lean on APRSISCE for RX, mapping, and igating (reporting successful RX of other stations).   Looks like I'm occasionally reporting myself.  I believe I've set my callsign as just KD0KZE, no SSID.  Though I'll likely need to add one soon, since I'm getting a TH-D72A and will attempt HT work with my satellite antenna (presumably, KD0KZE-7).  The D710 is technically a mobile rig, but I use it stationary at home with the internet, so -0 seems to make the most sense there.  If you omit the SSID, does it default to -0?

      (I'll double-check all of this tonight.)

      Thanks,
      KD0KZE