23652Argent Data T3-Micro Initial Look Update

  • KE6BB
    Aug 20 10:53 AM
      Anyone out there get their T3-Micro to work on RF? Mine is toast this morning. Something shorted to ground in it after I plugged the audio cable into it. Now, I cannot plug it into the USB port because it immediately gets extremely hot...too hot to touch with bare hands...even without the audio cable plugged in. Of course, it also no longer talks to the PC.

      This unit had run for 10 or so hours, but this is the first time I had the radio hooked up to it. No transmissions were made.

      I checked and rechecked the cable I made up for it, but can't find a problem. It matches the Argent Data Wiki perfectly:

      Pin Function
      Tip Audio out (to mic)
      R1 PTT (open collector)
      R2 Audio in (from speaker)
      Sleeve Ground

      That matches the schematic posted in their wiki, and the four terminal plug datasheet (SJ-43515TS). All I can chalk it up to is a static discharge through (or around the end of) the heat shrink tubing I had put on it to protect it temporarily. A metal case would have been better but would have shielded the GPS.

      It was fun while it lasted, but not $65 worth (plus the price of connectors that can actually be soldered)!

      Mark
      KE6BB
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic