23616request for change in object placement algorithm (more non-overlapped object names)

  • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
    Aug 16, 2013
    Lynn,

    I'd like to suggest a change in how the placement algorithm for locating
    multiple objects at the same location.

    Currently, the algorithm places multiple objects in a pattern around the
    object location, 3 to the left, 3 to the right, and one each above and
    below. See also attached screenshot. Once the ninth (or later) object
    for that position is mapped, they are overlayed (with transparent)
    background on the object at the 3 o'clock postion.

    I am working at applying APRStt (see
    http://www.aprs.org/aprstt/aprstt-coding25.txt ) as a means of doing a
    triathlon event team progress reporting using the DTMF tones to locate a
    runner/team at a particular checkpoint. This APRStt would be an adjunct
    to the regular voice net. We will have somewhere between 50 and 100
    teams at the event.

    However, I may have more than 9 objects at a particular checkpoint.
    Would it be possible to implement at least one more 'ring' of objects
    around that position before overwriting any. Ideally, the cluster of
    objects at that location would simply grow as the number of objects
    grew, and shrink as the objects are moved to another checkpoint. I
    would be willing to live with 'holes' in the object location matrix.

    I mentioned 50 to 100 teams. If possible, all 100 objects could be
    visually displayed; however, a 6x6 or 6x8 matrix would likely suffice.

    The desired visual effect is similar to the visual appearance of the "TT
    Corral" discussed in that APRStt spec (search for "The TT-CORRAL:", just
    over halfway thru the document), but applied at any object positions.

    I probably explained the request poorly, so please ask if I didn't
    convey enough information.

    73 de Daniel KB3MUN
  • Show all 10 messages in this topic