23484Re: Argent Data T3-Micro Initial Look

  • KE6BB
    Jul 21, 2013
      Sunday update:

      Got away from the relatives for a few minutes to try and solder the connector up. Well, I almost destroyed it. I will probably go buy a cable for an i-thingie, cut it in half, and splice io the Motorola cable.

      More tomorrow. Back to the relatives for now.

      Mark
      KE6BB

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "KE6BB" <rv6amark@...> wrote:

      > I finally received my T3-Micro. I bought this unit for evaluation, but especially because it has GPS Passthru. I think I can put that to use. Here is my very early experience in getting it working:
      >
      > 1. Using the OTWINCFG utility from the Argent Data site, check the USB KISS box (keeps the unit in KISS mode for use with APRSISCE/32) and the NMEA P/T box (enables NMEA Pass Through) on the right side of the screen. You may also want to configure PTT on the lower right side of the screen for your radio. Don't forget to WRITE the data to the device before exiting.
      >
      > 2. Set up a "Simply KISS" port in APRSISCE/32 (CONFIGURE>PORTS>New Port) using the comm port that Windows assigns to the T3 (be sure the T3-Micro is plugged in so Win can see it). Win 7 is better about not reassigning comm ports than XT was, so you probably won't need to change it in the future unless you use a lot of USB devices. Be sure and check the GPS/NMEA box on the Configure Ports dialog box. If you don't, APRSIS32 will not do anything with the GPS data that comes through the port. By default, the T3-Micro is a 9600 baud device for everything, serial port and GPS (they are really the same port).
      >
      > 3. Change the NMEA port to blank. That will eliminate the NMEA OPEN message at the top of the scroller.
      >
      > 4. Enable GPS (ENABLE>GPS)and wait, wait, and wait for the GPS on the T3 Micro. This shouldn't take so long if you have a clear view of the sky. Above the scroller, you should see APRS-IS OK (if you have it enabled), <yourPortName> OK, but no NMEA OPEN. If you see the NMEA OPEN, you probably haven't set up step 3 correctly.
      >
      > This only covers the GPS Passthru effort. Much of it was figured out by trial and error. I think I documented it correctly, but I'm not betting a paycheck on that yet.
      >
      > My first try resulted in the icon wandering all around the neighborhood (well, not really that bad). See the aprs.fi display of my KE6BB-10 instance:
      >
      > http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=19&call=a%2FKE6BB-10&others=1&timerange=604800&tail=604800
      >
      > The unit was on the north side of the first floor of a two story house with no southern windows visible. I don't think many of my other GPS's will even get a fix from there. This one saw between 6 and 8 satellites, but obviously wasn't doing real well since it would occasionally lose the fix momentarily. I will take it out and about when I get more time today.
      >
      > Next priorities:
      >
      > 1. Make some kind of enclosure. It is vulnerable to static discharge damage as it is. Something the size of a package of gum should work with some modification.
      > 2. Take it outside to see if the accuracy improves. I suspect it will.
      > 3. Get this thing working with a radio.
      > 4. Be sure its tracker function is disabled. I have done this with my OT1+ and OT-USB trackers, so I know it isn't difficult. I just haven't spent any time on that yet.
> [...]
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic