23370RE: [aprsisce] Re: maps [1 Attachment]

    Jul 1, 2013
      Hi Ron,

      > I had already PAN>ZOOM>PREFETCHED, at least locally, fairly heavily. How
      much the DRIVE OVERLAY was doing was not obvious since the fetched tile
      count was low. I "drove" a GPX for a road trip of 150Mi and only fetched
      about 70 tiles. I had already been through there along the intended route
      prefetching.

      That is to be expected.

      >I am running RF on the road, so I have the purger turned off, and I have
      archived my tile files at home, so I might not need to download much for
      quite a while now. I have a library of three sets that cover just about
      everywhere I might go. I expect my overall tile download is fairly low,
      spread out over the past year or so, even though I am supporting 3 computers
      here.

      If your systems are on the same network then all the systems can work on one
      tile collection. One system could be set to purge every 20-30 days. This
      way, you will get the updated tiles.

      > I travel with a tablet.

      I normally use my tablet in my daily driver. For longer trips, I like my
      netbook (Lenovo). I don't leave the netbook in the vehicle because there is
      more personal stuff on it and it cost a lot more. Plus, I don't want to beat
      it up more than necessary by moving it around daily. I occasionally connect
      to the OBDII port and the netbook handles all the applications better.

      > I think you said you were running a DT360. The bottom plate on mine runs
      at a measured 115F+-. That seems hot, even if it's a heat sink. How does
      that track with yours?

      It does get warm but I have not measured it. I don't know if you mount yours
      in a mount or not, but, you may be able to add air holes in the mount and
      point an AC vent towards it. Try turning down the brightness. It saves power
      and should generate less heat. I have also contemplated adding a heat sink
      to the back. But I haven't done much more than think about it. Something
      like this is what I had in mind.
      http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/HEATSINK.jpg

      > When I "drive", rather than use my tablet, I'll take my USB drive and plug
      it into my desktop and start the instance from the drive.

      > I don't want a flash drive sticking out of the tablet while on the road. I
      build the GPX on my Win7 machine, then transfer it to the tablet and let the
      tablet fetch while I do something else. the tablet is getting a bit crowded
      on memory, I don't even keep the GPX on the tablet. 4Gig isn't as big as I
      thought it would be <G>

      I assume you don't want it sticking out to avoid possibly breaking
      something. I understand. There is a lot of potential for breakage. This is a
      good option!
      http://www.staples.com/Staples-micro-Relay-16GB-USB-20-USB-Flash-Drive-Blue/
      product_368053

      I already have a power supply connected requiring careful handling. So, I
      plugged in a USB hub. Connected to the hub; GPS, USB stick and an OT3. I
      keep looking at the IOGear keyboard. It has a trackball included. It will
      require a USB device (similar in size to the memory above) plugged into the
      tablet. I'll add it to the hub.
      http://www.staples.com/Iogear-GKM681R-Wireless-Compact-Keyboard-With-Optical
      -Trackball-and-Scroll-Wheel/product_IM1GB4591

      I took apart the tablet's desktop base. I hope to mount it on a Ram mount or
      another solution. All the connections will go to the base rather than the
      tablet. This will save wear and tear on the connections in the tablet when I
      do move it around.

      Currently, I use a mobile desk in my '00 Toyota Corolla. It isn't a bad
      solution but I want the tablet up out of the way of my coffee mug. Plus, it
      does impact the passenger a bit. She doesn't mind it there but I would
      prefer to move it. I have the laptop version so it is wider and taller than
      my netbook. With either the tablet or netbook, the cables are protected by
      the edge of the tray.

      www.jeniko.com
      It wasn't working 7/1 @ 9:40 EDT, so try:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003J8LLF8/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condi
      tion=all

      This should give you some food for thought! :)

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic