23254Re: [aprsisce] Re: Hints for using a TM-D700?

    Jun 13, 2013
      Use the KWD700(KISS) or just KISS type port in APRSISCE/32.  Make sure the radio is powered up and in Packet mode BEFORE starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the port.  And if you cycle the radio power, you'll have to restart the client or at least disable/re-enable the RF port because Kenwood's radios don't stay in KISS mode.

      If you're only wanting to display the event from a static station, I wouldn't even mess with a GPS anywhere, but use the CenterTheMap/Transmit/MoveMEToCenter trick to set your viewing location.

      On 6/13/2013 3:11 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      Does the D700 have a GPS data pass-through? If yes, you might try it again. At some point, code was added to use data from the data port. If not, then the second puck or Y-cable makes sense. I understand the D710 has this feature.

      Probably the safest route to a successful event on short notice with a D700/D710 is to set the radio to PACKET and forget about APRS mode. This basically uses the radio for its TNC only. In this mode, a GPS needs to be only connected to the PC.

      You do give up radio features by using PACKET. You should pick most if not all using APRSIS32.

      "but tonight I get one chance to play with one briefly." makes me think of this link:

      This may get you thinking in a good direction: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration. I am leaning toward KWD700(KISS) as the correct port to use.

      I don't have one of these radios so this is basically semi-informed opinion. Hopefully someone with a D700 has some extra input.

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH