23033RE: [aprsisce] Re: Feature Request - Terminal Screen

    May 24, 2013
      Randy you reminded me of the reason I stopped progress. It is unfortunate! I only have an OT collection.

      Hmm, I wonder if I get the Direwolf Raspberry Pi TNC running if it will be possible.

      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Randy Love
      Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 17:19
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature Request - Terminal Screen

      A KPC3 doesn't need another KPC3 to control it remotely. It just needs to be attached to another TNC in connected mode. I control a couple of other KPC3+ aprs digi's around here, and the remote mode is dependent on being linked up to it via the remote callsign in connected mode. I do that by parking on a hill where I have a straight shot to the digi and using the regular TNC mode of my D710. I issue a regular connect command C DIGI1R then, after answering it password hash, I get direct access to all the commands on the TNC as if it were connected to me via a serial port.

      So, No, you don't need another KPC3 to remotely administer another KPC3 that has been set up for remote control, but you do have to access it in Connected mode to get the password hash to get into it for control.

      The only program I know that allows for connected mode operation of KISS tnc's is the AGWTerminal using AGWPacketEngine as the interface between the prog and the tnc. Unfortunately, some KISS capable tnc's ( the Argent Data line, for example ) don't handle the connected mode packets properly. So even tho you sent a properly formed connect packet from AGWTerminal, the OT2/3/USB doesn't pass non UI packets back to the software to handle your connect request. whoops...

      73,
      Randy
      WF5X

      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

      Thinking about the era when packet was more common, I suspect there are other TNCs capable because you have to connect. So I think I can run an application capable of connecting through a KISS TNC (my OT2/3) but I haven't got to a point of being able to test it. I seem to remember finding an app for that but don't really remember.