22881RE: [aprsisce] Strange path for repeater object.

  • Tony VE6MVP
    May 11, 2013
      At 05:44 PM 2013-05-10, Robert Bruninga wrote:

      Agreed, however do note that because I was not using WIDEx-x in the strange paths the repeater object was not "leaking" outside it's intended path.

      Also you can sort the objects by distance rather than arrival time in the D710.    That said I suspect on my next long distance trip, which will be in a few days, I'm going to leave my Nuvi 350/OT2 displaying received objects sorted by distance and the D710 sorted by arrival time.    Of course most of the time I will be in rural Alberta so I'll be fortunate if there are any objects other than digis and repeaters in my top 5 list.  <smile>    And there will almost certainly be 20 or 50 mile stretches where I won't be hearing anything.

      Hmm, I gotta RTFM the D710 manual and figure out how to display the frequency on the APRS comment screen.

      And, now that I think about it, I think I'm going to have them both doing Smart Beaconing, with two different SSIDs for much of the trip and do a subjective comparison of the difference between 5 and 50 watts output on most of my trip.   For about an hour or two I'll be near a large city, Calgary, where I'll probably turn one off just to minimize congestion on the local frequency.

      Tony

      Conversely, There is nothing more irritating that getting freq objects about repeaters a hundred miles away that are impossible to hit (from the area whre I just received the packet).  The reason it is irritating, is that when one see’s one  pop up on the front panel of the radio one should –assume- he can hit it.  I just hit tune, and make a call.  7 times out of 10 my call is unsuccessful because the repeater is actually a hundred miles away and is being improperly flooded all over the place.

      The reason this is so irritating, is because we must be concerned with driver safety.  The function is supposed to be a one-button QSY function.  Yet, 7 tiumes out of 10, I cant hit it, and they I begin *unsafely* poking round on the radio to try to figure out why…

      Bob, WB4aPR