22865Object Paths (was: New guy question (Freq object concern))

    May 10, 2013
      (Please don't cross-post between groups. If you want to start a new
      thread in another mailing list about a topic, do that, but otherwise
      please constrain replies to the group within which the thread exists.)

      On 5/10/2013 9:20 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

      > I cannot see the paths used for these objects, because the APRS-IS strips
      > the path when heard by an IGate, but if they are anything other than
      > *direct* and if they are sourced anywhere other than at the digi's
      > themselves, then they are not properly implemented in accordance with the
      > design of Frequency (repeater) objects.

      Please educate me Bob. How does "the APRS-IS strip the path when heard
      by an IGate"? That's something I've not observed nor ever heard of.

      Now, if you mean objects that are simultaneously injected into the
      APRS-IS with a TCPIP* path and transmitted over RF with some other path,
      the outcome would be to not be able to see the paths used for the
      objects. But AFAIK, nothing actively strips paths off of packets in the
      APRS-IS.