22740Re: Rocket Tracking

  • ajmitchell91
    Apr 25 3:15 PM
      Thank you James, this clears up a lot of questions we were wondering about. I didn't know exactly what the differences were between the PACKET and APRS TNC's on the Kenwood, but the way you explained it makes a lot of sense.

      We got it up and running yesterday after I submitted my post by opening the packet log to view the raw packets and then parsing those using a script. We will try out the CTRL-G utility you mentioned which sounds like it would allow us to filter out the other stations while looking at the raw packets.

      I'd never heard of ICMP packets before, are those the only types which have tracks that can be saved? What kind of devices send that ping? I guess the confusion we were running into was the difference between a series of waypoints (which is what we are sending right?) and a track. It seemed like to us that since the waypoint packets appear to contain all the relevant positional information, saving to a GPX file was just a matter of formatting. Is there some extra information sent in a ICMP packet that allows GPX files to be created?

      I apologize if these questions are silly. We're just a bunch of college kids and somehow it feels like unless you know someone from the previous generation who is a big ham, it's hard to pick this stuff up.

      Thank you,
      -Aaron
      KF7RJL

      > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM, ajmitchell91 <ajmitche@...> wrote:
      >
      > > APRSIS seems to only pick up the packets received by the Kenwood when
      > > I have the Kenwood TNC in PACKET12 mode rather than APRS12 mode.
      >
      > That would be because you have APRSISCE/32 configured to use PACKET
      > mode on the Kenwood. When the Kenwood is in PACKET mode, the internal
      > APRS software is removed from the chain, and the raw serial data is
      > presented to the computer. You need to configure APRSISCE/32 in APRS
      > mode (which Lynn really doesn't like) in order to allow the radio to
      > still operate in APRS mode, and then shove the packets out the port to
      > the computer as well. This is my preferred mode of operation on the
      > D710, but I have not configured the TH-D72 to do the same. I think
      > others have on here though. Check the archives.
      >
      > > However in PACKET12 mode the packets are no saved at all on the Kenwood
      > > which makes me a little worried.
      >
      > Don't be worried, the radio is operating perfectly.
      >
      > > I have managed to receive a few packets from the BigRedBee, which are plotted on
      > > the map perfectly. I then used MultiTrack on the BRB station, which opened another
      > > window, but despite more pings coming in no GPX file has been saved.
      >
      > That would be position reports... there are no ICMP ping packets in APRS.
      >
      > > Also in the sidebar not "Save Track" option is available for these packets. Is they in
      > > a format that does not allow them to be saved? Is there anywhere I can go to get
      > > this data (Lon. Lat. and Alt.).
      >
      > You should be able to save the information. Again others have played
      > with that much more that I, and the archives will probably have lots
      > of information.
      >
      > You can press CTRL-G and then put in a budlist filter parameter for
      > your rocket. Another window will open and any packet from your rocket
      > will be recorded there. You can copy the data and save it to a text
      > file from there.
      >

      > The wiki describe the APRS-IS filter parameters.
      >
      > http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-is-filters
      >
      > You would use something like:
      >
      > b/MYROCKET
      >
      > where MYROCKET would be the callsign of your rocket.
      >
      > --
      > James
      > VE6SRV

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic