22428RE: [aprsisce] Lost WHO-IS?

    Feb 27, 2013
      I don't remember the WHO-IS results ever flashing on the screen like the address. It may have.

      As far as the WHO-IS results are concerned, they adhere to the message handling routine. They are initiated as a message and responded to likewise. If you click on a station or you initiate a message through the toolbar and enter WHO-IS as the address and enter "f CALLSIGN", you will see it return as a message. Below is a copy of the sequence reported by APRS.FI:

      2013-02-27 13:48:09 EST: N7FMH-10>WHO-IS: f N7FMH
      2013-02-27 13:48:10 EST: WHO-IS>N7FMH-10: N7FMH:Freddie M Hillhouse, Jr/E
      2013-02-27 13:48:10 EST: WHO-IS>N7FMH-10: N7FMH:116 Sharon Street
      2013-02-27 13:48:10 EST: WHO-IS>N7FMH-10: N7FMH:Manchester, NH United States
      2013-02-27 13:59:25 EST: N7FMH-10>WHO-IS: F KC9LDH
      2013-02-27 13:59:25 EST: WHO-IS>N7FMH-10: KC9LDH:Allen K Savegnago/G
      2013-02-27 13:59:25 EST: WHO-IS>N7FMH-10: KC9LDH:40 Laurel Dr
      2013-02-27 13:59:25 EST: WHO-IS>N7FMH-10: KC9LDH:Canton, IL United States

      As for how the messages are displayed or listed (or not) is fine for some and not others. You happen to be "not fine for" group. There are no lists in APRSISCE generated with the exception of logging so I would not expect a list of messages, at least not in the short term anyway. Personally, I don't have any other messaging experience other than SARTrack and my cell phone. So, whether the current method is smart, or stupid, or somewhere in between, is, well, opinion, and, like elbows, I have a couple myself. I just adapt. Since the application was designed to run on an older than the latest smartphone, I am sure it was done with application speed in mind. And, to be truthful, APRSISCE/32 is real fast compared to other applications I have tried. Maybe it is one of the trade offs (for now).

      The way I handle messages, is I open a message in its own window. For as long as I think a dialog (conversation) will occur, I leave the window open, but I may minimize it. This allows me to review past messages as well as see any new ones. This works for messages I initiate or receive. If it is important information I need later I have two choices; copy and paste into Notepad or looking at APRS.FI.

      In case you are wondering, SARTrack does the text message balloon type found on some smartphones. It looks nice and there are a couple of nice features through the rest of the application. The last time I tried the message feature there was a bug. I can't tell you if it generates a list or not but it does look nice. The application does not run on a smartphone which is what APRSISCE was initially written for. And, in my experience not quite as fast either.

      By the way, if you wonder if the author uses messaging, just look at KJ4ERJ-12 on APRS.FI. I will even provide a link: http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=kj4erj-12

      As an aside, there is always the option of creating a "better" message handler. As a client, it can connect to a server port in APRSIS32 (or directly to APRS-IS or any other client that can be a server as well). In the client, the received messages can be sorted, listed, spindles, folded, whatever, according to the author's desire. That goes for any other station list as well. I have a specialized client myself so I know it can be done. It just doesn't do messages, and it probably never will.

      From: Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 1:52 PM

      It shows up as a message for me. Do you get a green box after clicking WHO-IS?
      I left-clicked on a station and the second item from the bottom is the WHO-IS option.
      I don't believe there is any switch you can click on to disable that.