22325Re: [aprsisce] a couple of questions

  • Randy Love
    Feb 8, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM, <kc8sfq@...> wrote:

      > A properly configured WIDE2 digipeater will respond to WIDE1-? and WIDE2-?
      > requests.

      Does that mean that my system is requesting WIDE1-1 AND WIDE2-1 with every packet?

      Yes, each packet sent with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is requesting a hop via a WIDE1-1 and THEN a hop via a WIDE2-1. The first hop has to be used before the second part of the path is processed.

      >So, a two hop request doesn't mean only two repeated packets. It means I want two
      > different digipeaters that hear each other to repeat my packet.
      > Clear as mud, right?

      Well, yes, thank you. It IS clearer than it was. I'll make that change before tomorrow morning's drive. Do I need to go back into the config menu and change it to request more hops when I go outside our well covered local area.

      Generally, if you leave it at WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, you are fine, as long as you have reasonable beaconing rates. That is the path we recommend in the southern half of Michigan. When you go "Up North" or out of state outside metro areas, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 is perfectly fine.
      Thanks and 73, KC8SFQ  Ron

      You're welcome.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic