21812RE: [aprsisce] Re: APRSIS32 Passcode

  • Roger Elmore
    Jan 8, 2013

      Just a thought, but if you’ve got folks joining the group to ask for a passcode, you could mention the email address (or provide a link back to the wiki’s “passcode” page) on the Yahoo Group’s main page where they have to click to join.

      Do you mention the passcode in the automated emails sent out when Group membership is approved?  If not, that could be another spot.

      Roger  KJ4AJP

      Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

      Like it says at your quoted link (emphasis theirs):

      It is the responsibility of each software author to provide the proper passcode to their individual users on a request basis.

      Note the "on a request basis".  Nope, I can't make it part of the application, nor would I want to.  There are several of us that field the aprsisce-owner e-mails and grand passcodes.   To do it any other way would put a single point of failure in the passcode granting process.

      PS.  And if you want to see some virus scanners and internet "protection" programs go nuts, just let me add an SMTP client in there!  "Warning: Unauthorized program is attempting to send an e-mail, application has been deleted".

      On 1/8/2013 1:26 PM, lancehomer wrote:

      Can Lynn make the passcode request process part of the app rather than having it be something that seems to be confusing to many such that it requires blinking letters and colors? (http://www.aprs-is.net/Connecting.aspx)
      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, James Ewen  wrote:
      On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM, James Ewen  wrote:
      It doesn't blink in bright red, but it is pretty prominent.
      I didn't go with red, but the link is now blinking in big blue
      letters... pretty hard to miss it now.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic