21801Re: [aprsisce] Re: APRSIS32 running under WINE

  • Greg D
    Jan 7, 2013
      Hi Gerard,

      I've had some trouble in the past with Wine windows being the wrong size (usually too small).  In Linux the window manager usually has a way to override the particular application's settings, and I've used that to force the window to be big enough that I can get to the contents inside.  I did not have this problem with APRSIS32, however, and I run it 24x7 under OpenSuSE Linux / Wine on my shack PC as an iGate.

      On a Macbook, I have no idea...  Never used one.  But you might search around the window settings (small "w") and see if there's an Advanced settings section to sift through.  Murphy's law says that the window that's too small to use is probably the one you need.

      All that said, yes, in theory you can do anything configuration-wise by editing the XML file.  Just be careful doing so, and be sure to do it when the program is not running, as it will be overwritten by APRSIS32 when it exits (and before it gets a chance to read your changes).

      Greg  KO6TH

      jandgandjochem wrote:

      Hi,

      Thanks for your reply. Followed your instruction to the letter but still no coms to the D710.

      After the second command executed I got:

      ln: com1: File exists

      I then fired up APRSIS32 and under configure > New Port I chose KISS and then in the new window I chose COMn Serial but the window this is in is so small and cannot be made larger. I cannot see where I can set the D710 to COM1.

      I used to run APRSIS32 under windows 7 but I cannot remember where the setting for COM1 was then.

      Maybe it is somewhere there but I cannot see it because that window is so small.

      Just wondering if I can set the port to COM1 by editing the XML file???

      Your help is much appreciated,

      Gerard VK2JNG

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Willis wrote:

      > In your home directory (/Users/yourname), there will be a hidden folder named .wine
      > Inside that folder will be another folder named dosdevices.
      > You need to make a symlink from com1 to the Keyspan /dev device
      >
      > Step by step would be:
      > 1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
      > 2. In that Terminal window type the following:
      > cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
      > ln -s /dev/KeySerial1 com1
      >
      > Then in APRSIS set the serial port for the Kenwood to be COM1.
      >
      > You'll only have the /dev/KeySerial1 device while the Keyspan USB adapter is plugged in.
      >
      > Try that and let me know how it works.
      >
      > -lilmatt
      > N2PYI
      >

      > On Jan 7, 2013, at 5:52 PM, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
      >
      > > Bumped up the list as I am still hoping to get this to work.
      > >
      > > APRSIS32 runs very well on my MACbook Pro under WINE but I cannot get the KeySpan USB to serial adaptor working. I have the Kenwood D710 hooked up in PACKET mode but when I configure the port for the D710 and then go to enable that same port it is "Greyed Out".
      > >
      > > When I run a terminal program (Z-Term) it talks happily with my D710 and I can put the D710 in KISS mode etc. Whilst hooked up to the terminal program I can see all the APRS station received via RF in the terminal window.
      > >
      > > Just cannot get the D710 port working under APRSIS32.
      > >
      > > Still hoping for a solution here as others have done it. Trouble is I know nothing about WINE or any setting associated with my problem.
      > >
      > > Hope someone will be able to guide me here,
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > >
      > > Gerard VK2JNG
      > >
      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "jandgandjochem" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > With the help of this website: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
      > > > All credit to David Baumgold, the owner of the site.
      > > >

      > > > I got APRSIS32 running nicely under WINE on my MacBook pro.
      > > >
      > > > The thing I do not know how to get going is my Keyspan USB to serial converter so that I can hookup my D710.
      > > >
      > > > I have the Mac drivers for the Keyspan installed on my Mac (not under WINE) and the Keyspan converter is working fine when I use a terminal program to talk to my D710 in packet mode.
      > > >
      > > > However, I don't know how to get the Keyspan converter working for APRSIS32 when running under WINE.
      > > >
      > > > Can someone shine some light on this which would be very much appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Gerard VK2JNG

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic