      From: Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Sent: 20 Dec 2012 22:28:26 GMT
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] APRIS32 Transmit stops Kenwood D710 from decoding packets.

      Just for the record, I'm not ignoring this issue nor this thread, but tracking it with interest.  However, being a non-owner of said equipment, I really don't have much to add.  I just implemented what I was told to implement, tested it on a loaner unit, and called it complete.  The Kwd710(APRS) mode is, as was stated earlier, a hack using commands as they were not originally intended.

      I find the RMS response rather interesting.  Does it do the same thing if you cycle power on the radio and run RMS Express first?

      I'm wondering if you might have an intermittent RS-232 cable, or if you changed power levels or had antenna/coax issues such that RF is interrupting the serial data stream.  Have you checked the SWR and/or dropped the power to low to see if the issues go away?

      PS.  I loved your "for no apparent reason" statement.  Something changed or the behavior would still be the same.

      On 12/20/2012 4:54 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
      At 02:45 PM 2012-12-20, Tony VE6MVP wrote:

      The Kenwood is not transmitting.  I've carefully watched the D710 screen when I hit Transmit or a Send on a Message.   That said I did loosen and tighten the antenna connections.  I reseated the D710 head and body cables.   No difference.

      I then switched to using RMS Express to a Winlink 2000 VHF node on a local repeater.   Which has worked a few months ago.  RMS Express knows about D710s.    I see it changes the TNC from APRS12 to PACKET12 and then it states TNC not found.   However I can't see a setting to view a detailed log of exactly what commands it is sending to the TNC..

      BTW it's also quite possible that the TNC in the D710 has gone wonky.   <sigh>

      Tony

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic