21278Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

    Dec 8, 2012
      On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Steve Daniels
      <steve@...> wrote:

      > I got asked by an American APRS hardware manufacturer to clarify UK regs
      > as they were getting requests for hardware for balloons but conflicting info
      > on what was and was not legal.
      >
      > I hope to add a ballooning page to the wiki, which I hope James will
      > contribute to, is it worth me adding UK info to it, or doing a post here, or
      > none of that

      Well, this reflector is for support of APRSISCE/32, and the wiki is
      for describing the functions and operations of APRSISCE/32. Balloon
      specifics as far as hardware and regulations are concerned really
      aren't germane to this reflector, nor the wiki. We can of course add
      information about using APRSISCE/32 for chasing and recovering
      balloons.

      Specifics about UK regulations should probably end up in a more
      generic information repository. The main APRS wiki has a page for
      ballooning. A subpage off of that page which details the UK
      regulations would be a good place for the information. A hotlink from
      the ARHAB page linking to the APRSISCE/32 specific balloon tracking
      page would tie things together. A link from the APRSISCE/32 balloon
      tracking page to the ARHAB page would get people to the right
      information.

      http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ARHAB

      Trying to replicate every bit of information available in every wiki
      on the internet in every other wiki is a lot of replicated work.

      Generic information about general subjects belongs in the main wiki,
      and then specific information about APRSISCE/32 belongs in the
      APRSISCE/32 wiki.