21276Re: [aprsisce] UK Ballooning Regs

    Dec 8, 2012
    If you can quote (and maybe even link) definitive UK regs, I'd say add a page to the Wiki.  It can help folks understand why we see (or don't see) flying in UK airspace.  Also, you might want to put something like "As of <this date>..." just in case the rules change.

    PS.  It was really cool assisting in the recovery of KK4LZB-11!  We should have done the descent speed before crossing the canal to the north to search through the scrub.  Ended up being in a big screen TV box put out to the trash in front of the house next to the one it last beaconed over from 700 feet up.  But then, since it was falling at 30mph (estimated on last three beacons), it sure couldn't have gone far laterally from 700 feet.  The parachute was split in half on recovery and the plastic AA*8 holder was shattered along with dents in several of the Lithium Energizer cells which explains the lack of beacons after "landing" (crashing is possibly a better description).  The camera apparently fell away from its hole in the box when the balloon popped.  I've attached the last shot before the camera fell inside.  Shot timestamp was 10:12 local time or 15:12 UTC.  aprs.fi shows it at 78,068ft at 15:13:01 and 12 minutes later (15:25:31), it was on the ground and the camera stopped shooting (probably from the thud).  78,000 feet in 12 minutes = 6500 ft/min average descent rate = >60mph vertical (DOWN!).

    But then again, if the parachute HAD worked, it would have taken longer to come down and probably would have ended up in the Atlantic.

    I didn't have my phone tracking for the whole search, but zoom in on the southeast portion of the track below and you'll get the idea.  And the satellite view tells the tale.  Palmetto and Brazilian Pepper is really thick to bushwhack through!

    http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&ts=1354924800&te=1355011200&call=a%2FKJ4ERJ-12

    On 12/8/2012 6:16 PM, Steve Daniels wrote:

    I got asked by an American APRS hardware manufacturer to clarify UK regs as they were getting requests for hardware for balloons but conflicting info on what was and was not legal.

    I hope to add a ballooning page to the wiki, which I hope James will contribute to, is it worth me adding UK info to it, or doing a post here, or none of that

    Steve Daniels

    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

    Torbay Freecycle  Owner