20743RE: [aprsisce] Beginners guide to setting up an Igate

    Nov 4, 2012

      I could put something together if James does not have the time.

      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Tony VE6MVP
      Sent: 04 November 2012 20:53
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Beginners guide to setting up an Igate

      At 12:51 PM 2012-11-04, James Ewen wrote:

      Even better.  That's great.   Now edit merge that with your previous reply to me and create a page for newbies.  It may not be perfect but life never is.  It's more than good enough to get going.

      Note that there is no Igate page under http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:documentation.    Which, in my not so humble opinion, <smile>, there should be.  And you've just provided the content.

      Tony

      On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Tony VE6MVP <tony@...> wrote:

      > I'm thinking that what you posted would make a good wiki page on that
      > topic for newbies. It's obvious to you and more experienced folks but not
      > to newbies.

      I'd have a hard time writing something like that up... perhaps you can
      help with the explanation.

      Here's where I am coming from:

      If someone wants to set up an i-gate, I automatically assume that the
      person making the request knows what an i-gate is. That would be a
      fair assumption, would it not?

      Just to make sure we're on the same page, an i-gate is an APRS
      application configured such that specific packets heard on one
      interface will be gated to the other interface and vice-versa, one of
      those interfaces being RF and the other being the internet.

      Hmm, just defining what an i-gate is above has already helped me out.

      Since APRSISCE/32 is designed to by default have internet access,
      configuring an i-gate has already been described in detail.

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

      There's even a video!

      In all the other APRS programs, setting up an i-gate instructions show
      you how to configure an internet port, and any specific check boxes to
      set properly. For APRSISCE/32, the equivalent would be setting up the
      RF-Port and the specific check boxes. So Julian's video should be what
      you are looking for.

      Again, this all assumes that the person setting up an i-gate knows
      what an i-gate really is. There's no i-gate wizard in the program that
      will drag you through setting things up. The internet side is pretty
      much standard, and automatically assumed as operational. The RF side
      however has many variations depending upon the hardware/software you
      are using to connect to RF via.

      So how do we go about explaining it clearly enough to make sense?