      From: "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...>
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 8:13:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS

      In Canada it is illegal to "repeat" transmissions from a commercial
      service onto the amateur bands.

      You could argue that the process of decoding and reencoding nullifies
      that legality, but I wouldn't do it, and I would actively lobby anyone
      doing so in my area to shut down the "service".

      Using APRS to track the "commercial" vessel is an area for contention
      for some people. I push into a lot of grey areas myself, but I'd stay
      away from thus one.

      My D700 that is currently tracking my progress on the way home on this
      500 km trip from work is in my company vehicle. My service coordinator
      uses aprs.fi to keep tabs on my progress to ensure my safety. You
      could say that's commercial use, but I'm running my ham station for my
      own use, the fact that work can track me is coincidental. If I put
      trackers on every work vehicle, and we used APRS as an integral part
      of our safety plan, that would be over the line in my mind.

      If we had an alternate commercial tracking system in place, and I
      resent my coworker's positions over the local APRS channel, would you
      consider that acceptable?

      The fact that one is a charitable organization and the other is a for
      profit entity doesn't change the basic laws.

      Just my thoughts. Each operator needs to decide if their operation is
      within the applicable laws for their area.

      Sent from my mobile device