      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Daniels
      Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 18:06
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aprsisce] RE: Help RNLI AIS to APRS

      It seems quite a few people would like to do a similar thing to myself.

      Have done some investigation and found a couple of free programs that will decode from a soundcard and then make a tcp port available with the decoded data.

      I put out a request on my local Freecycle (I am a moderator) and have an old Icom IC-M11 to pickup for free tomorrow. This has an MC3357 discriminator 10K, resistor attached to pin 9 then attached to soundcard and good to go.

      So at least for local display within APRSIS32 it does not seem too much of a pain to do, ok it’s 3 bits of software connected together.

      I need to get setup and see whats happening, to supply Lynn with the required info, if indeed he is interested in doing anything

      I can see it being of use to Amateurs who have boats..

      I would ultimately like to put it out as a local RF thing no hops no gating and be available on my l JavAPRSsrvr for locals to connect to, but I have no clue how to inject data into that without it going upstream. I DO NOT WANT TO SEND TO THE WHOLE WORLD.

      Anyone know how to do that?

      It would be nice if UZ7HO soundmodem could do 9600baud for AIS Decoded and Lynn decoded the data, it’s going away from APRS I know

      From: fmhillhouse@...
      Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:36:00 -0400
      Subject: RE: {Some tags disabled} RE: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Fred Hillhouse included below]

      I guess I left a bit out. I do watch AIS activity on a couple of different websites. That part is easy. Try and get the data to display in another application is more difficult. For instance, I would like to read all data and display what I wish to see on APRSIS32. That is the difficult part. Even if I could put up a successful AIS receiver, I would only be able to see data from the service(s) I decide to feed. Getting the data to display in APRSIS32 is easy. Getting the data is difficult.

      If you watch the various AIS websites closely, you will see, on occasion, a vessel on one website but not another. I suspect this is due to a private receiver only sending data to the one server. Even on APRS.FI, not all vessels are shown. Sadly not all receiver station operators are uploading data to it. Europe has a boatload of receivers operating.

      One of the websites I like is http://www.vesselfinder.com. This site actually will use (create?) a icon to match the vessel dimensions. Zoom in and look careful at the icons. You should notice the blue triangle and the larger gray polygon. The AIS data can show antenna location in relationship to the overall vessel. The AIS data is packed with various bits of fun. Check out the two attached PNGs and you can see the GPS antenna location with the outline of the vessel.

      One vessel I track normally is Liberty Service. It is a ocean going tug (image attached). It is often seen pushing the barge KE5KTU-9. The barge moves between Albany NY , NYC   NY , Boston MA , Portland ME and a point further north. I usually follow KE5KTU-9 in a Multitrack window with nautical tiles.