20058RE: {Some tags disabled} RE: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS [2 Attachments]

  • Gervais Fillion
    Sep 14, 2012
      Hi Fred
      i am located near the St-Laurence River in the province of Quebec,one of the busiest river in North America .
      I am + or - 1000 feets from the river,i can see ship all day long passing by.
      One of my friends that just retired and owner of a sail boat called me and ask if their were system like AIS for Radio-Amateur :we talked about APRS and i told that they were no communication between the 2 systems.
      He said that on his boat he loved to have both system on the same map as APRS .

      I know that behind what we could hoped ,there are data that need to be re-route,,,,,,,,,,i am not an expert at all.
      Many times it is easyer to write what we think that to program a software to do what we want it to do.

      maybe someday there will be a kind of bridge between the 2 so it would be a + for us living near the water ways.

      BTW thanks all of you behind you screen,monitore that helps keeping APRS alive and kicking!!!!!!!! :-)

      73
      Gervais ve2ckn

      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FVA2DQ&timerange=3600

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      From: fmhillhouse@...
      Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:36:00 -0400
      Subject: RE: {Some tags disabled} RE: [aprsisce] Help RNLI AIS to APRS [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Fred Hillhouse included below]
      I guess I left a bit out. I do watch AIS activity on a couple of different websites. That part is easy. Try and get the data to display in another application is more difficult. For instance, I would like to read all data and display what I wish to see on APRSIS32. That is the difficult part. Even if I could put up a successful AIS receiver, I would only be able to see data from the service(s) I decide to feed. Getting the data to display in APRSIS32 is easy. Getting the data is difficult.

      If you watch the various AIS websites closely, you will see, on occasion, a vessel on one website but not another. I suspect this is due to a private receiver only sending data to the one server. Even on APRS.FI, not all vessels are shown. Sadly not all receiver station operators are uploading data to it. Europe has a boatload of receivers operating.

      One of the websites I like is http://www.vesselfinder.com. This site actually will use (create?) a icon to match the vessel dimensions. Zoom in and look careful at the icons. You should notice the blue triangle and the larger gray polygon. The AIS data can show antenna location in relationship to the overall vessel. The AIS data is packed with various bits of fun. Check out the two attached PNGs and you can see the GPS antenna location with the outline of the vessel.

      One vessel I track normally is Liberty Service. It is a ocean going tug (image attached). It is often seen pushing the barge KE5KTU-9. The barge moves between Albany NY, NYC NY, Boston MA, Portland ME and a point further north. I usually follow KE5KTU-9 in a Multitrack window with nautical tiles.