1973Re: [aprsisce] random crashing on HP IPaq 912c

  • Colin Catlin
    Jul 6, 2010
      Hi Greg,

      From my experience, yes probably.
      Less than 8Mb and you get problems.

      I was running WM5 on my phone and it would just hang but I recently upgraged to WM6 (to get SDHC support) and APRSISCE seems to close itself down when memory gets low.
      It also seems to be worse when the battery is getting very low, I am wondering if WM6 automatically starts shutting things down to conserve power/memory.

      Yes moving stuff from 'My Documents' to your SD Card will help, I try to do it daily to avoid problems.

      Lynn did let me know of a registry hack (on Microsofts site) to move your 'My Documents' to your SD Card, when I get a bigger card and find the guts to do it I will give that a try.

      On 05/07/2010 23:17, Greg D. wrote:

      Yikes...  "8.66 MB Free (8 MB Min)"

      So, am I really 0.66 MB away from crashes?  I don't remember how much clutter there was when my crashes happened.

      Either way, I'd really like to have everything on the SD card (Storage Card, in MS-Speak).  I don't mind re-configuring stuff; do I simply remove anything that looks like APRS* from My Documents and the root folder on the built-in memory, and restart?  I've NEVER been prompted as to where to put things...

      To: aprsisce@yahoogroup s.com
      From: kj4erj@arrl. net
      Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:47:58 -0400
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] random crashing on HP IPaq 912c

      I don't know if there's anyone out there running on an IPaq 912c, but
      the only reports I've had of crashing (not hanging) is when you don't
      have enough space on the My Documents "drive" or the drive on which
      you've stored OSMTiles.

      If you double-click an empty space on the map after APRSISCE has been
      running a while, how much space does it report free on the last line?
      You can move the cached OSMTiles to a storage card by simply deleting or
      moving the directory while APRSISCE is not running. The next time you
      start it, it will ask you to locate the OSMTiles and will subsequently
      remember the new location (at least, it's supposed to work that way,
      there were bugs in that for a while).

      All maps are automatically downloaded from OpenStreetMap. org which has
      coverage at varying degrees of detail for the entire world. I'm
      currently in Spain and am quite surprised at how much it knows. My
      Garmin Nuvi 350 with the European map set knows more, but OSM isn't
      bad. You can point your favorite browser to http://OpenStreetMa p.org to
      see what it knows.

      If anyone else has any experience on iPaqs, please chime in here.

      Lynn (D) - EA3/KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

      PS. There does seem to be a hang issue when APRSISCE is running with
      spotty cellular data coverage, but i's a hang, not a crash.