17018All Star APRS Beacons

    May 1, 2012
      Greetings AllStar Developers (and Redundancy Dept),

      I've had occasion recently to analyze the APRS-IS network for dropped
      packets and noticed a large number of packets coming from stations with
      "AllStar" in their comments. These stations are beaconing fixed
      information at a high rate (in some cases, every 30 seconds).

      Are these packets being generated by the AllStar node software or some
      add-on that the individual stations may have installed?

      A fixed station beacon rate of one every 10 minutes for a typical
      repeater is sufficient. Even though the APRS-IS may appear to be high
      bandwidth, every 30 seconds from anything fixed is rather extreme.

      PS. Here's a few sample stations:

      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE3EI-L&limit=25&view=normal
      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=w4brm-1&limit=25&view=normal
      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=WB9UUS-R&limit=25&view=normal

      PPS. I've got a vested interest in having this resolved as I'm about to
      being work to support arbitrary IGating of local interest packets from
      APRS-IS to RF in my APRSISCE/32 client application. As such, I'm
      watching for various mistakes that people may make in configuring such
      IGating and these high-rate stations came immediately to my attention.