1635Re: [aprsisce] Re: Activating Summits (WOTA and possibly SOTA) using APRS

    Jun 3, 2010
      I don't know if you've ever used the CQSRVR on APRS, but that would be a
      great tool in the WOTA/SOTA arsenal. Check out
      http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx

      I plan to build direct support for CQSRVR notification groups into
      APRSISCE/32 similar to what I have for EMAIL-2 and WHO-IS. But for now,
      just send an APRS message to CQSRVR with a body of CQ WOTA <Your text
      here>. Whoever is currently in the group will receive what you sent and
      you are then put into the group. You can send one message every 30
      minutes and are in the group for 12 hours after your last sent message.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just joined the WOTA and SOTA CQSRVR groups!

      PS. The support I have planned includes the ability to "ping" a CQSRVR
      group to keep your membership alive with a pre-configured message.

      Colin Catlin wrote:

      > Hi Julian,
      >
      > I agree with all your points especially that APRS shouldn't rely on RF.
      >
      > So I will continue to take my Smartphone running APRSISCE but when I
      > reach a summit I will switch the GPS to my radio and send a general CQ
      > out on APRS over RF. I think I will send a message announcing my
      > pressence on a Summit and that I would like replies particularly
      > Direct RF ones, if anyone would like a simplex voice contact let them
      > know the Bands and Modes I can work and once I have read through the
      > messages I have received start calling them back to see which Bands
      > and Modes work.
      >
      > I think that way I can have the best of both worlds.
      >

      > 73,
      > Colin.
      >
      > On 03/06/2010 12:09, g4ilo wrote:
      >>

      >> As long as you know the contact both ways is via direct RF then it
      >> would be fine as a valid contact for WOTA. In essence it is just a
      >> digital mode contact. It took me a while to come to that decision
      >> simply because that isn't how I envisaged APRS being used. I'm not
      >> sure if Bob Bruninga the inventor of APRS did either. If you read
      >> some of the stuff he wrote I think the idea was your position report
      >> would include a frequency and mode so people who were in range of you
      >> would know how to try to contact you using a normal voice mode on a
      >> separate channel. But as I say, I don't think there is anything wrong
      >> with what you are suggesting if you view APRS as just a digital mode
      >> for the duration of the exchange of messages and can be sure that the
      >> QSO took place entirely over RF (since repeater contacts aren't valid
      >> for WOTA.)
      >>
      >> I can understand your not wanting to limit your range to RF only
      >> since it is fun to see how well you can communicate from on top of a
      >> mountain. When I was last on Ling Fell where you were the other day I
      >> had the VX-8E and I received APRS packets from 400km away in Ireland.
      >>
      >> Personally I find APRS to be too useful when out portable to rely on
      >> RF for a connection. But I do find that using the APRS-IS connection
      >> takes away the fun element of using pure radio. You can't have it
      >> both ways, unfortunately.
      >>
      >> Julian, G4ILO
      >>
      >> --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>,
      >> Colin Catlin <colin2e0xsd@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Thanks Lynn,
      >> >
      >> > I think that is the answer I was looking for although I can't say I
      >> > understood everything you said on just one read through:S.
      >> > I will study it in more depth.
      >> >
      >> > I think to qualify as a valid contact for the WOTA scheme it would
      >> have
      >> > to be only Direct RF but I wouldn't want to limit my contacts to just
      >> > Direct RF since I would like to see what responses I get and try to
      >> > encourage more use of APRS in this part of the world.
      >> > So just being able to Log the Contacts and see which ones qualify (and
> [...]
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic