1594Re: [aprsisce] Re: Kenwood D710 Development Release

    May 30, 2010
      The radio worked very well as KJ4ERJ-12 which was my phone and also the
      D710 whose KJ4ERJ-10 gets modified on the first beacon from
      APRSISCE/32. It was interesting to see beacons switching between the
      two symbols (phone and Kenwood).

      If you check the tracks for KJ4OVQ-9 and KJ4DXK-9 for 5/30/2010, you
      should see that most of their packets were gated through KJ4ERJ-12.
      This was the D710 in APRS mode receiving them and passing them to
      APRSISCE as KJ4ERJ-12 on my phone. KJ4OVQ-9 was the Safari van in which
      the D710 was mounted (2 antennas, of course) and KJ4DXK-9 was my son's
      Honda meeting us for lunch and following us home from Sea World.

      It was a great day and good test of the software/hardware. We'll be
      going out again tomorrow back into the same neck of the woods
      (literally, it's a hike in the woods this time), so I'll be running the
      same setup then.

      I'll let you know how it all works out along with what I determine from
      a report from James VE6SRV that didn't work out so well based on the
      logs he sent me.

      To anyone that tries this at home, the D710's TNC needs to be turned off
      (not in Packet and not in APRS mode) when you open APRSISCE/32 and
      enable the communications port. The program will then fire the
      configured setup commands to set the proper mode. If it doesn't work
      the first time, sometimes you can disable and re-enable the port to get
      it to initialize properly. And sometimes it just decides to start
      working after a beacon or two.

      The mode switches being done by the configuration commands are soft at
      best. I don't believe there's any way to know what mode the radio is in
      nor are the commands to get it to a known mode the same depending on
      where you're coming from. They really didn't make this one easy.

      Also, you need to turn ON the Comm Port in APRS menu 604 for the GPS
      pass-through to work. You may also need to change the GPS baud rate in
      the <OpenCmd>GB 9600</OpenCmd>.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      pseudospark wrote:
      > Hi Lynn,
      >
      > Great to see the progress with the D710. Of course I want my radio back but please be sure that you complete the development (not that software is ever completed.........). A few more days won't matter. Really looking forward to trying it out.
      >
      > Steve, KB1TCE

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic