1589Kenwood D710 Development Release

    May 29, 2010

      I just released a new Development version that supposedly supports
      Kenwood D710s differently than I had before. To anyone that wants to
      give it a shakedown, please disable any existing RF Port and create a
      new one. There are two types to choose from:

      This will run the D710 in packet mode disabling all of the APRS features
      of the device. It's actually much better to run it in KISS mode from a
      throughput and overhead standpoint, but at least in this mode, if you
      have a GPS connected to the D710, APRSISCE/32 will pick up its current
      position via that connection even if you have no other GPS connected to
      the client.

      Credit to Kai Gunter LA3QMA for recommending this mode. This allows the
      D710 to remain in APRS mode retaining all of the display features while
      still passing received APRS packets via the control head's serial port
      to APRSISCE/32. Again, if you have a GPS connected to the D710,
      APRSISCE/32 will pick up a current position from that connection.

      Full transmit functionality is available in APRSISCE/32 in both D710
      modes. Messages, beacons, telemetry, IGate status can all be
      transmitted out the RF channel. APRSISCE/32 will act as a bi-direction
      IGate as well if you have APRS-IS enabled and connected.

      It is most reliable if the D710's TNC is completely turned off when you
      enable either of these two modes. Appropriate initialization commands
      will be sent to the TNC to establish the mode such that APRSISCE/32 can
      communicate with it. When the RFPort is disabled or the client is
      exited, the TNC is closed and returned to an inactive state. You can
      always mess with the <OpenCmd> and <CloseCmd> tags to change this
      behavior if you want to experiment.

      Let me know if any of you give these new modes a try. I'm anxious to
      see if it works for you as it seems to work for me. BTW, hopefully I'll
      be mobile tomorrow and the next day as KJ4ERJ-12 communicating through
      Steve Hansen (KB1TCE)'s D710 that he graciously loaned me a few weeks
      ago and has allowed me to keep far longer than I had hoped to need it.
      If the next two days go well, the unit will be returned to him on
      Tuesday, so get your bug reports in to me quickly!

      PS. KJ4ERJ-12 runs on my AT&T Tilt cellphone and is talking to the D710
      TNC via a Bluetooth to serial link. Wireless from the radio to the
      phone and cellular data connection to APRS-IS from there!
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic