15039Re: [aprsisce] kpc-3 getting ready to go

  • Randy Love
    Jan 10, 2012
      Be aware that some of the Kantronics WM-1200 do not support KISS mode.
      Most were made specifically for the customer you will see displayed at boot up in a terminal window. I have 4 here that came from Tennessee Gas, and none of them support KISS mode. However, I did contact Kantronics, and the hardware is the same as a KPC-3 and you *should* be able to swap out eproms to make the WM-1200 a KPC-3. However, at $45 a pop for the firmware eproms from Kantronics, it's cheaper to get an OTUSB from Argent Data for $40 and have USB connection capabilities.

      It's easy enough to check that the WM-1200 does kiss by connecting to it via a terminal program and issuing the INT KISS command. If it goes into kiss mode, you're in luck! It should stay there across power cycles too.

      Just a word of warning.

      73,
      Randy
      WF5X

      On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      If you can lock the TNC into KISS mode from a terminal program, then you
      can configure a KISS-type port in APRSISCE/32 and replace all of the
      default <Open/CloseCmd>s with no-ops as described at:
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tt4-via-kiss

      If you're running the latest development version, you can also just
      configure a Simply(KISS)-type port and the no-op commands will be
      supplied by default.