15036Re: [aprsisce] Bluetooth link

  • Greg Dolkas
    Jan 9, 2012
      Hi Lynn,

      Is there an example bit of code (a template, perhaps) for writing an APRS client?  I'm wondering how I hard it would be to write something that could hook into your server port and watch for messages addressed to it, and respond back with something as directed.  I'm familiar with writing socket-based code, but don't know what to do from there (and don't want to have to learn everything you learned about APRS packet formatting to do it).  Any library routines out there to make the job a bit easier (and less error-prone)?

      Greg  KO6TH

      On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      I'm really not going to try to write a tutorial on TCP/IP communications and the implications and choices of "available' ports for new services.  I'm hoping someone out there can point you to a suitable tutorial on the subject as it involves some semi-advanced networking concepts and has nothing particular to to do with APRS nor APRSISCE/32.

      That said, 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of your current machine (most of the time).

      Machines get specific IP addresses for each networking adapter that they may have.  Win32 and Windows Mobile behave the same in this respect.  ipconfig is the command-line command that will show you ALL of the network adapters you have a desktop Windows machine.  There is no out-of-the-box way of discovering this information for a Windows Mobile device, but client's don't need to know this.

      Port numbers must be unique and available for any given service on the host that's attempting to offer the service.  "Standard" TCP/IP services have "well-known" port numbers.  http servers are on port 80.  ftp servers are on 21.  AGW's Packet Engine is normally on port 8000.  APRS-IS filtered ports are typically 14580.  APRS-IS full feed ports are typically 10152.

      What network adapter and/or port you might want to offer your own IS-Server from APRSIS32 is completely up to your whims.  The IP address you use on the server side determines what clients will be allowed to connect.  0.0.0.0 means the client can be anywhere.  127.0.0.1 means the client must be on the same machine.  <AdapterIPAddress> means that the client must be on that adapter's connected network (or at least LOOK like it's on that network - read up on NAT and firewalls and spoofing and such).  As for the port, it just has to be a number that's available on the server machine.  I use 2998, 2999, 3000, 6568, 6569, 40000, and who knows what all else, but what ports you can use depend on what you have running on your machine.

      And once you have the IS-Server configured, you can point your APRSISCE instance to the proper IP and port to connect to it.  BUT  as soon as you go mobile, you can't use the local IP address anymore and may not even be able to connect in from the Internet (capital I) because of any firewalls or NAT routers that your APRSIS32 server is hiding behind.

      Oh, and ActiveSync also makes up a private IP network between your desktop and Windows Mobile device while they're connected that only works when they're connected.

      Yep, more than I really want to go into.  If you want to run a local APRS-IS server, there's a certain amount of networking saavy that you better have to make it work as supporting such efforts is really a one-off unique thing for each installation.

      PS.  The more versatile the tool, the larger the instruction manual.  Ever see a cookbook that actually describes how to "fold an egg"?  Nope, they all assume you've got some applicable knowledge from somewhere else.

      On 12/21/2011 4:02 PM, James Higgins wrote:

      Lynn

      I did see TCP/IP as one of the choices on each PC, however, it asked for a IP port?  Is there a procedure written that gives the port numbers and any thing else I will need?

      Jim KC2SZ

      On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

      Even that version only supports the Serial Port Profile of Bluetooth for connections to TNCs, and that only with the Microsoft Bluetooth stack.  You're not going to be able to lash an APRSISCE instance to an APRSIS32 instance via Bluetooth via any connections other than TCP/IP.

      On 12/21/2011 3:36 PM, James Higgins wrote:
      Lynn

      I am running the general release from 2011/08/20 on both PC's.   I would like to do the direct Bluetooth.

      How do I download the latest development software?

      Jim KC2SZ

      On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      1) APRSIS32 doesn't support an IS-Server connection via BlueTooth - Only
      TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

      2) APRSISCE doesn't support an APRS-IS client connection via BlueTooth -
      Only TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

      3) Are you running the latest development on both platforms? I think
      the direct Bluetooth support is only in that release and not in the
      current general release from 2011/08/20 or so.