14483Re: FTM-350 port and NMEA

  • n5dtx
    Dec 7, 2011
      Hi Lynn,

      You are correct, for Data, starting at the main menu:

      option: APRS/PKT
      option: E16 COM PORT SETTING
      option: 2 OUTPUT
      (and then there are really four options at this point if you count off)
      OFF
      GPS OUT
      PACKET
      WAYPOINT

      When set to option GPS OUT, I can get a fix in APRSIS32 and when set to
      option PACKET I can receive all of the APRS traffic and stations appear
      on the APRSIS32 map, but I cannot do both at the same time due to the
      radio menu options.
      When I am in the city with the option set to PACKET I will typically
      receive enough of my own digipeated packets to place me on the map.
      When out in the country in this mode I still receive other stations but
      I cannot see myself on the map.

      Graham
      N5DTX

      > Glad to have the definitive answer. I thought there was a reason that
      > hadn't hooked the NMEA gleaning code into the FTM-350 type port. At
      > least until Yaseu does another firmware release, passthrough GPS is a
      > non-starter.
      >
      > Thanks for taking the time to confirm it. Can you provide the menu
      > name/number/navigation that has the three options you enumerated?
      > That's the one that needs to be set to Data for the FTM-350 to provide
      > APRS packets to APRSISCE/32, right?

      > On 12/7/2011 4:21 PM, n5dtx wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Lynn,
      > >
      > > Thanks for this great program with awesome features!I really
      > > appreciate all of the hard work you have put into this thing as well
      > > as your collaborative spirit to work with the community to add
      > > enhancements!
      > >
      > > I breezed through questions 1-3 quickly because I had been there and
      > > done that.On question 4, by asking me to bring up a terminal
      emulator,
      > > you nudged me to discover the answer which appears to be NO.The
      > > FTM-350 has three options for output: GPS, DATA, or WAYPOINTS.Each
      of
      > > these streams can only be provided by the radio one at a time
      > > depending on the menu selection.Therefore, when I was getting a GPS
      > > fix, the radio was set to GPS, and likewise I was getting good
      tracks
      > > on the screen when the radio was set to DATA.I can send you copies
      of
      > > all three data types if you would like to look at them but it is
      > > pretty clear to even a rookie like me that we can't pull tracks and
      > > gps from the same data stream.
      > >
      > > I appreciate the nudge, and now a definitive answer is here on the
      > > message board.I may try to add another GPS to the mix to see what I
      > > can work out but I was really hoping to keep it simple and pull it
      all
      > > from the radio.
      > >
      > > Thanks again,
      > >
      > > Graham / N5DTX
      > >

      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)"
      > > kj4erj@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > That should have been "CAN'T" try this myself! Dreaming Freudian
      slip
      > > > there...But I really don't want an FTM-350 until they support KISS
      and
      > > > transmit capability....

      NMEA

      > > type